Author Topic: Alternator beeping even if charging  (Read 1107 times)

elias

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44
  • Boat Year: 2003
Alternator beeping even if charging
« on: August 25 2024, 17:34 »
Hi to all , our alternator even if is charging normally and within the appropriate voltage , on low revs started to beep from the starter panel and sometimes even at higher revs. Anyone with similar issue? How can I disengage the beeper?
Attaching schemes

elias

• Old Salt
Re: Alternator beeping even if charging
« Reply #1 on: August 26 2024, 06:54 »
The voltage in d+ and ground is around 9v it’s that ok? I believe not

Viviane2000

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 42
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #2 on: September 14 2024, 08:54 »
After burning our alternator I installed a local sourced Italian alt. This alt gave a weird signal to the tachometer and made the tachometer vibrate. The charging voltage was not stable when the starter battery was full, making the tacho vibrate. Since this was a temporary alt (50A) and I've got a new alt (100A) installed I didn't bother too much.

But with the 50A alt and the vibrating tacho I got the engine waring light + beep as well. There is a Voltage level and when the alt goes below that Voltage the warning is sound. With the engine in idle I got the warning every now and then, with higher revs I did not. The new alt gives a stable voltage when charging the starter battery so this fixed the warning for me

elias

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: September 15 2024, 21:43 »
Hi ,I cleaned the rotor of the alternator ant the alarm stopped for some days . Started again so I got a refurbished one … I ll take the old one for service and understand what was the problem.

Molo

• Swab
  • Boat Model: 46
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 18:52 »
We have the same issue.
Changed the alternator to a new one https://www.svb.de/de/lichtmaschine-12v-115a-volvo-penta-d1-d2-d4-d6.html
This had no effect.
Beeping intensifies if there is no load on the alternator.
If the DC-DC charger is working to charge the lithium batteries from the alternator the beeping pauses.

Our temporary workaround is to remove the speaker - which is obvious a bad one for the other alarms of the motor.