Author Topic: Electric bilge pump not working  (Read 6422 times)

Wayne

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 37
  • Boat Year: 2007
Electric bilge pump not working
« on: October 31 2013, 02:29 »
Hi,
I have a 2007 Bavaria 37 and recently was testing gear after winter lay off. I tried the electric bilge pump and, while light on 12v panel came on,  bilge pump did not kick in and nothing happened to the bucket or so of water I had in the bilge. There was no flashing light on panel to indicate an electrical problem. Haven't had a chance to check fuse on panel and maybe I did not have enough water in bilge to trip the float switch?? No sound from bilge pump at all. Haven't had the boat that long and am finding out that some switches require an additional switch on panel to work. Any ideas gratefully accepted..

Devocean

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
Re: Electric bilge pump not working
« Reply #1 on: October 31 2013, 10:54 »
First check there is a voltage on the pump terminals. If you don't have a multi-meter (and you should) then the Draper 60792 is an excellent one for use on a boat, as it has a backlight.
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

Wayne

• Second Mate
« Reply #2 on: October 31 2013, 22:32 »
Thanks Nigel,
Will do.
Wayne

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #3 on: November 01 2013, 00:04 »
Don't think it is automatic. Only works when you press the switch. as Nigel says check there is power at the pump when switched on. The pump is probably seized through lack of use which is what happened to mine. The Rule 2000 gph is a direct replacement.

Wayne

• Second Mate
« Reply #4 on: November 01 2013, 01:23 »
Thanks Symphony, will do.
Wayne

Ripster

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 36 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2011
« Reply #5 on: November 01 2013, 11:09 »
One of the first mods I did on the boat when I got it was to fit a bilge alarm and electronic switch to create automatic operation.  Otherwise as others have said, its just a manual push button on the panel to work the pump.

Moodymike

• Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: November 01 2013, 11:24 »
Can you give more info on the wiring and type of switch?

Wayne

• Second Mate
« Reply #7 on: November 21 2013, 23:36 »
I don't like to post a question and then not provide feedback. Have  checked whether there is power to the bilge pump (a Johnson 750 l) and there is. Will check the float switch and see if electricals are working there. If ok there, will replace dead pump with a new, larger capacity pump. Looks like some of the Johnson ones are interchangeable and have the same housing. Thanks for the tips. Wayne

Anthony

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #8 on: November 22 2013, 22:55 »
You should be able to simply lift the float switch and instantly hear the pump operating, even when the bilge is dry.
It is a good idea to have a similar float switch in the fwd sump of the engine bay, linked to an alarm... thus warning the skipper of a diesel leak or worse, a leak in the saildrive diaphragm... quell horreur!!

Wayne

• Second Mate
« Reply #9 on: December 02 2013, 22:38 »
Thanks for the tips. There was power to the bilge pump. Fitted new pump and all good. In Australia instead of Rule bilge pumps johnson pumps are fitted. At least on mine. New pump fitted in old cartridge holder so not much work involved. Wayne