Author Topic: Bavaria 47 Cruiser, 2001, circumnavigation  (Read 2382 times)

UP

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2001
Bavaria 47 Cruiser, 2001, circumnavigation
« on: August 12 2024, 16:12 »
Hello!

I have a Bav47 Cruiser from 2001 and I'm planning on sailing it around the world via the barefeet route East to West. I will be sailing with my kids and wife and hence the pleasant route. Planned duration is 2-3 years. I'm planning on 1:3 ratio of sailing to land-time to keep the family & myself happy, will not push the weather whenever possible, not racing deadlines. The meaning of this post is to ask advice on the boat hardware and/or upgrades. What are the updates I should consider. Some things I already have done or have on the boat:

1) New sails from Hydranet cavnas (supposedly can take a serious beating, UV proof etc);
2) Watermaker;
3) Will change battery bank to LiFePO4, extra sealed-lead battery for starting up engine;
4) Will add (more) solar panels, DuoGen 3 sea/wind generator, Honda 22i petrol generator for backup (will have a soft fuel tank for this to carry extra fuel in odd shaped places);
5) Soda blasted the bottom, new epoxy undercoat and antifoul;
6) Leak-proofed/changed portlights, cabin lights;
7) Will have a removable inner forestay for storm jib, just in case;
8) Will convert one toilet to storage, also building a workshop in the forepeak of the boat;
9) Complete makeover of the original bow thruster;
10) Forepeak is now a waterproof chamber (all through-wall fittings are waterproof);
11) Boat deck-hull seam has been fiberglassed shut, so the sealant issue is out of play;
12) Will replace chainplate tie rods with new ones;
13) Will have radar, EPRIB, liferaft, backup handhelf VHF etc;
14) Have already and will change thru-hulls where needed;
15) Will convert the main cabin table to telescope-feet to convert the large sofa-table to a large bed for longer anchorage stays etc;
16) Standing rigging is from 2018, so I'm not changing that just yet, looks fine;
17) All new clutches by Spinlock (Rutherson lower end product RC75 really is ... bad, sorry @Rutgerson);
18) Will add 50 meters of anchor chain to existing 50 m;
19) Planning on Starlink if budget allows, to have good access to weather reports.

I think that about sums it up of what is planned. So, fire away and thanks!
PS - the boat I have has crossed the Atlantic at least twice, so I know it is seaworthy.

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: Bavaria 47 Cruiser, 2001, circumnavigation
« Reply #1 on: August 12 2024, 17:06 »
Seems fine. Hydranet is a good choice but expensive and you might consider Vectran which I believe is cheaper (or it was when I last bought sails of this quality) and my sailmaker friends rate it as better value. I have had 2 sails made with Vectran and both have been excellent. Suggest you look at using Coppercoat on the hull. The material cost is not significantly more than good 2-3 year AF although application time is a bit longer and getting an iron keel clean enough is a bit of a challenge but it really does work and will save money in the long run, plus you will be able to keep the bottom clean more easily as it will just be slime to del with. 100m of chain is really not necessary - and extremely heavy as I assume it is at least 10mm. Current thinking is 50-60m chain then rope and use snubbers. Presumably you have a new generation anchor and a strong windlass. Take care with your lithium installation. As you have no doubt found out there are many different ways of setting up the systems, particularly charging and cable protection. Also you may have to move your bow thruster and windlass away from the house bank (assuming they do not have their own bow batteries) to run from the engine battery and only use when the engine is running.

Good luck with your preparations

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
« Reply #2 on: August 12 2024, 18:51 »
1. Expensive. Consider that when it gets damaged, nobody will have Hydranet fabric to repair it with, so it'll just get patched up with Dacron anyways. Either bring a roll of fabric or just go with a good, heavy Dacron. That was the advice I got from Peter Sanders and he was completely right.

4. Too many power sources. I'd skip either the wind/tow thing or the petrol generator, unless you're cooking with electricity or something silly like that.

5. Consider Coppercoat, you'll be in warm waters and its easy to keep clean with a brush and you can stay in the water instead of hauling out.

7. We had one. IMHO it's a pointless thing. When a sudden storm hits, you're not going to prance around the foredeck rigging that thing. If the storm is forecast, why would you go out? Barefoot route means you're avoiding the north Atlantic return where such a thing might be actually used.

8. Good idea. Also carry a complete toilet pump to swap over. It WILL break and you WILL miss it when you're shitting into a bucket. The complete pump is a 5 minute swap and then you can fix the broken one later.

9. Well, if it that the wife from running away, whatever it takes ;D

10. Good idea. I was thinking about building a pressure tight safety box around the through-hulls in the forepeak as I didn't trust them much.

11. Excellent.

15. I rigged a net so one side of the main cabin couch can be set up as rough seas berth with the back cushion on one side and the net on the other keeping one from rolling out. I used this on a few rough passages and it was really useful due to less movement, close proximity to the companionway and secure rest.

16. Just inspect it thoroughly before you go.

18. Make sure you use a Vyv Cox approved C-shackle to join them. Friends almost ended up on the rocks as their chandlerly chocolate C-link broke.

19. Or one of those satellite messengers and an experience person ashore to give you weather routing messages? Elon can't turn that off on you mid-voyage :)

Also make sure you have good sun protection (bimini) and that said protection is usable underway and up to a certain degree of wind strength without having to be wrestled down or becoming a hazard. In tropical climates, ventilation and mosquito netting are essential, too. We got a windscoop and also turned our forward hatch around to face forward.

(formerly) Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

SYJetzt

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 46
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #3 on: August 12 2024, 20:35 »
I would suggest a complete set of spareparts for the autopilot or other means of redundancy

UP

• Second Mate
« Reply #4 on: August 14 2024, 19:58 »
Thank you for the input so far!

As for the energy sources. I ran some calculations, sometimes with the help of ChatGPT :D, read some blog posts and came to the conclusion that I will only add solar panels to the boat, dropping the DuoGen. As I will be going on a sunny path, staying in protected anchorages, then the wind generator is going to be ineffective. Underway, well ... solar will do, as I will beef up my battery bank. Whenever I lack power, which should not be too often, I'll have the Honda 22i to use.

I already have the fancy-material mainsail and will reconsider having my new genua made from this, as it can save a nice bit of money. I'm reading about the foam luff, supposedly helping with keeping sail shape with a partially furled sail.

The boat is presently painted with Wilckens Yacht antifoul, which is an ablative paint. It would be such a pain to do the whole bottom again :,) I'll read into it a bit further. Maybe I can do away with simply sanding the ablative layer down and the doing the coppercoat. However I might just stick with what I have and haul out somehwere. I want to stick to launch schedule next year.

My bow thruster has its batteries in the forepeak.

As for the chain and rope mix ... weight savings do sound good. I'll read into it.

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #5 on: August 14 2024, 23:36 »
Either Hydranet or Vectran are good for foresails. A foam luff is a good idea if you intend using the one sail in higher wind speeds, particularly to windward. They were originally developed for older boats that had the IOR inspired masthead rigs with huge (up to 150%) genoas which were then converted to furling which meant the sail would have a poor shape with more than 3 or 4 rolls in it. Less of an issue with fractional rigs and less overlap. You might consider reducing the overlap as well as a foam luff as the original sail area is generous and only of benefit offwind. You don't say whether you will have any dedicated offwind sails, but worth considering as probably most of your sailing will be down wind.

Sounds like you have already had the bottom blasted and painted and if so you have "missed the boat" for Coppercoat as it only works if you start from a newly blasted surface.

How is your bow battery charged? a common way with lithium house bank is to charge the start battery and the bow battery from the alternator using a splitter and the house bank with a DC-DC from the start battery. This requires heavy cables from the splitter to the bow and you may already have these. The alternative if starting from nothing is to use another DC-DC from the start battery which only requires light cables.

With regard to anchors and chain you might find this useful reading
petersmith.net.nz/boat-anchors/catenary.php
Peter designed the Rocna so he has views that reflect his products, but they are representative of a growing trend toward smaller lighter anchoring equipment on the basis that better anchor design and improved chain/rope means the old "heavy" approach is no longer valid. The other articles listed at the end of the paper provide a pretty good overview of current thinking on the subject.

Hope you find this useful 

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
« Reply #6 on: August 15 2024, 10:56 »
We had the foam luff. It sounded like a good idea. The sailmaker was ambivalent about it. I feel like it was probably a waste of money, as the foam compressed when you did a tight furl, which you always got when sailing with a partially furled genoa. After a few years the foam just stayed more or less permanently compressed.

About chain length, we had 75m but rarely used it all and then it's just deadweight in the bow. 50m plus some rope to extend it in those rare situations may be what you want. But two or three of those rare occasions were riding out a storm at anchor and I sure was glad it was all chain (and one piece) and could easily be retrieved and redeployed in a crisis by windlass without mucking about with knots or shackles or whatnot. You cannot leave rope attached to the chain, the permanently wet rope will rust the chain to shit in no time. Going for much lighter high tensile 8mm chain instead of regular 10mm was expensive but I was happy with that. Although now I'd just go for 8mm (10mm in your size boat) regular G40 chain as the loads with a snubber are not so high.

Making a proper snubber with chain retaining hook is another good suggestion by the way. We had a regular one and doubled it up in stormy weather.

Although now that regalvanizing is dying out and chain is becoming a disposable item (sadly), you can just leave the decision until replacement time comes.
(formerly) Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

UP

• Second Mate
« Reply #7 on: August 15 2024, 11:48 »
Quick reply on my bow thruster setup:
I completely removed all factory(?, previous) installments, including heavy cables running into the main cabin. The thruster is now entirety fitted into the waterproof forepeak, this includes: batteries, charger, motor, cables. I have a pretty hefty thruster, 160 kgf 7kW, and it uses 24VDC, so two batteries in series. The charger is a 90-230 VAC charger, which is connected into my AC system. So I'll be charging it with the Honda 22i or via an inverter.