Author Topic: Drilling holes to the frame of the floor  (Read 568 times)

elias

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44
  • Boat Year: 2003
Drilling holes to the frame of the floor
« on: March 16 2024, 16:51 »
Hi ,
I want to put an extra flexible tank under the floor panels and connect it with the kitchen sink for a tap . So you think is a good idea to drill where I have marked in the picture ? Did anyone have a similar idea or application?

Happysailor

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 41 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2014
Re: Drilling holes to the frame of the floor
« Reply #1 on: March 18 2024, 14:17 »
🤔 let’s get some discussion on your question started..
Assume you would like to drill holes to pass tubes through to connect with your water system?
Strenght wise a small hole would not cause a big issue, however..
There are also some potential risks to drilling a hole.
It could start a fracture in the webframe, starting from where you drilled, especially when the hole is not sufficiently “real round” and having slight cuts. Especially under loads and stress, fractures can start.
Secondly, currently the web is sealed and closed by full lamination to the hull during newbuilt. Making a hole in it, could cause moist/ water ingress what you cannot take out.
Bavaria themselves made holes during the building process and laminated tubes in it (bilge drains) in order to keep the boxed off spaces dry. Anyone has other throughts?

elias

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #2 on: March 18 2024, 20:14 »
That’s why I still haven’t done it , but i ve seen 3 Bavaria from same era with holes made after the factory . They are not painted . Anyway , I found a route that just needs a hole in the kitchen locker so I ll leave it in peace fir the time .

SYJetzt

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 46
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #3 on: March 18 2024, 22:01 »
Secondly, currently the web is sealed and closed by full lamination to the hull during newbuilt
The web is not sealed, water can circulate in it (don't ask me, why i know this). The holes at the angle between the hull and the web connect all Cavities. The angle-laminate between the web and the hull is a critical element for the strength of the complete assembly and should not be weakened. Drilling of a hole of max. 4cm diameter in a height approx. 15cm from the hull in the web should not be a big deal.