Author Topic: Bavaria 39 Cruiser screwing charger to hull.  (Read 438 times)

marp

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
Bavaria 39 Cruiser screwing charger to hull.
« on: February 24 2024, 10:02 »
Hi, I plan to change charger, to charger-inverter on my Bavaria 39 Cruiser sailboat, original charger seems to be screwed directly to hull, or is there some additional layer of wood lamineted? New charger inverter is 20kg and I dont like idea of screwing it directly to hull... Do You know if it is safe to screw it in the place of old one? I was thinking about making some wooden frame, but still I would need to attach it somehow to hull (probably laminate it).

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
Re: Bavaria 39 Cruiser screwing charger to hull.
« Reply #1 on: February 24 2024, 11:32 »
The hull is foam-cored, and the original charger is screwed on to the inner fibreglass layer.  If you remove a screw, you'll no doubt find it's quite short.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #2 on: February 24 2024, 11:35 »
The hull is cored there, so you can screw into the core and Bavaria has done this in places. Don't use too long screws (core is 20mm, IIRC).

I didn't fancy doing this for the solar charger, so I sanded off some flowcoat and epoxied a bit of wood to the hull to mount things on. Also makes it easier, as you can mount them on the board first and then glue it on and just connect the wires.

And if you want to be really fancy, you glue a couple wooden strips or small blocks to the hull that you can then use as mounting points for larger things, including plywood or whatever cutting board you can scrounge up in a Portuguese supermarket :D
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

marp

• Cadet
« Reply #3 on: February 24 2024, 14:50 »
Thanks, I will epoxy some wood and then screw into it :)

marp

• Cadet
« Reply #4 on: March 10 2024, 10:34 »
Done :)  wooden blocks epoxied to hull, and then screwed epoxy primed wooden boards to them.