Author Topic: Water separator  (Read 375 times)

marioxp

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2003
Water separator
« on: February 22 2024, 16:44 »
Now I have a regular pre-filter for diesel.  I was thinking of upgrading with a water separator.  The original Racor 500 is out of my budget, I looked at the 500 fg on parts4engines, https://www.parts4engines.com/500-fg-turbine-fuel-filter-assembly/ 
 but since it is not in stock, I started looking further, apparently I found the same one on ebay for about 50 euros
https://www.ebay.com/itm/404801529240?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=ydy9smeotfq&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=jmlvpRzuRKG&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY   
Now I'm worried about the quality, so that I don't create a bigger problem than it is now. 

I want to hear your opinion, is there a need for a water separator, should I replace the existing one prefilter or should I add a water separator?

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Water separator
« Reply #1 on: February 22 2024, 17:31 »
See this thread: https://bavariayacht.org/forum/index.php?topic=1560.0

Never gave us any trouble, still there :)
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #2 on: February 22 2024, 17:53 »

I want to hear your opinion, is there a need for a water separator, should I replace the existing one prefilter or should I add a water separator?

If you buy your diesel from marinas, etc, which have a reasonable throughput of fuel, I don't think you need worry too much.  The standard pre-filter fitted by Bavaria would normally have a bowl to collect water.  I've never found any water in mine.  I also pump out a litre of fuel from the very bottom of the tank every spring, to check for water or impurities.  Never found anything dreadful.  I think having a plastic tank helps considerably in reducing condensation inside the tank.

The big Racor-type filters are, in my view, overkill.  In order for the "turbine effect" to work properly, you need a good flow of fuel, which isn't the case with typical small yacht diesels.

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
    • www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #3 on: February 23 2024, 10:01 »
Best things I did 10 years ago was fit a Racor 500 copy £25 has been Brill, and  changing filters a doddle, do yourself a favour and fit one.
Odysseus
Bavaria 38
Odysseus

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #4 on: February 23 2024, 10:48 »
Aye, seconded. The turbine part? Whatever. Water separator? Nevermind, if you have so much water in your tank that it ends up in the filter it's way too late.

The real reasons why the FG500 (and clones) are such an upgrade:

• Clear bowl so you can see what's going on at a glance (if you have water in the tank, you see black diesel bug arriving in the filter long before water does)
  • Super easy and clean filter changes, no draining
  • Fuel stays put, which also means less/no priming after filter changes
  • Filter changes are fast, so if it is way too late and you're pumping black crud you can just swap filters until clean enough to run

If you're in the med, the best diesel comes from roadside fuel stations by the way. Marina fuel stations are often contaminated. Mini tankerss are hit and miss but often try to cheat (they pump 0.7 liters per liter sold).
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

marioxp

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #5 on: February 23 2024, 14:12 »
Guys thank you for your opinion!  I needed this. 

The boat is mostly in Croatia and the fuel is good.  The previous owner is never completely thin.  3 years ago, I left the tank half full over the winter, and algae grew, luckily it was a short drive so I didn't have a problem, but the filter was black!  We were in Greece last year, the fuel is worse but not critically bad. 

If I understood correctly, you replaced the standard prefilter with the F500?