Author Topic: Cleaning the heat exchanger of a Volvo D2-55  (Read 1307 times)

Ailatan

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44
  • Boat Year: 2003
Cleaning the heat exchanger of a Volvo D2-55
« on: February 04 2024, 11:16 »
My next DIY project will be to clean the heat exchanger and the exhaust elbow.
I wouldn't like to spend too much time due to I don't have the right tool or waiting for the replacement so I first read the operator's manual, then I watched I don't know how many youtube videos and finally I have been looking to my own engine and trying to unscrew some of the screws to be sure they are not stuck.
In this first preliminary phase two doubts arose:
First one is how to open the tap under the heat exchanger. According with the manual to empty the fresh water circuit I need to unscrew a square head bolt on the starboard side and a tap under the heat exchanger, and here is the doubt. I unscrewed the lower part keeping fixed the upper part that seems never has been removed. Then I opened the cap of the coolant deposit but no coolant came out.
Second doubt is the MDI box. One of the fixing point is broken. I was thinking on removing all the electronic and cables and take it to someone to weld an aluminium plate because I haven't found just the empty box. Any suggestions will be welcome.
By the way is the Workshop manual available somewhere?

Ailatan

• Able Seaman
Re: Cleaning the heat exchanger of a Volvo D2-55
« Reply #1 on: February 07 2024, 08:27 »
The workshop manual is in another thread of this forum. Just in case someone is interested

primozk

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #2 on: February 12 2024, 06:45 »
I have a MD2030 is probably similar. Doing the last change of the coolant i removed the pipe going to the warm water heater and got the coolant out of the system so i could remove the tube at the heat exchanger. I've seen youtube from https://boatingwiththebaileys.com/toolbox-talks in one he removed the square bolt and in a 2nd video he's sucking out the coolant with a pump https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnNnjwLJaQY (i might try this method next time as it's cleaner)

Ailatan

• Able Seaman
« Reply #3 on: February 14 2024, 06:26 »
Thanks Primozk for the links. I didn't know that channel an found quite interesting.

Coming back to my project I found that to open the tap at the bottom of the heat exchanger you only need to unscrew the lower part. The problem was that there were some deposits of old coolant that was plugging the tap so I insert a wire and when the deposits were removed the coolant started flowing

Ailatan

• Able Seaman
« Reply #4 on: March 08 2024, 20:30 »
Does anyone know what material the heat exchanger is made of?

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #5 on: March 09 2024, 10:45 »
Usually brass.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Krumelur

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2010
« Reply #6 on: March 11 2024, 11:43 »
I'm just back from my boat and did some work on the engine. Mine is a D2-55F (the revision matters - the heat exchanger is different; for example, while previous revisions had seawater come in at the front and out at the back, mine had both connections at the back and the front is only covered by a sealed cap).

I started by pumping off the cooling fluid through the filler cap, using the Pela 6000 vacuum pump, the same thing I'm also using for oil changes. This works great. I cleaned the filler cap and inserted a new seal (https://www.parts4engines.com/volvo-penta-expansion-tank-sealing-ring/).

The remaining fluid came out by opening the tap mentioned in the thread here. To prevent a mess, I attached a hose to it. And yes, you only need to unscrew the bottom part.

Using lots of fresh water I flushed everything. Also, I removed the expansion tank and cleaned it as good as a I could.

To get to the front facing cap of the heat exchanger I loosened the screws of the generator and pushed it towards the right after removing the belt.
Also, I removed the hose connected to the outlet of the seawater pump and the hose connecting to the heat exchanger right next to the MDI box.
The MDI boxes two screws holding it in place also came out and I moved the box out of the way. Speaking of: I would not worry about the missing screw. Use a bigger washer and tighten the MDI box.

The pipes weren't too clogged and there was only minor incrustation on it (also some in the cap itself) which all came off pretty easily.
I used a long metal rod with a suitable diameter and pushed it through each and every tube. Except for three it all went smoothly, the three required some pushing and a bit stuff came out eventually.

To get to the back of the exchanger I removed the two seawater hoses connected to it and the one going to the exhaust elbow.
That side of the exchanger was almost completely clean.

The screws came of pretty easily. I used a long Allen key that would also work when slightly angled. This allowed me to reach the screw at the bottom of the rear cap without detaching the engine from the gear box.

Before I put the caps back into place, I used two new O-rings from this set: https://www.parts4engines.com/volvo-penta-d2-55-heat-exchanger-gasket-and-seal-kit/ (you need the big ones). I bought the set, because after watching some videos I thought it might be necessary to remove more parts, which would have required more seals. But good to have it on board now.

I did not bother getting the exchanger tubes out of the engine. They sit in there quite tightly and I could not find a reason to take them out, so I left them where they were.

In the end I filled the engine with ready mixed Volvo Penta coolant (https://www.parts4engines.com/volvo-penta-ready-mixed-coolant-green/). Notice that the manual says that about 9.5 litres would fit in there...don't trust it. I managed to spill a good portion and it's a pain to clean up the engine. Fill in the first five litres fast, but then go slowly. I could get about 7 litres in. Then I closed the filler cap and started filling the expansion tank, which was another litre.

I checked for leaks and when I was happy, I started the engine and let it idle for a bit. Making sure there are still no leaks, I let it run until it wamred up properly. When the thermostat opens, more coolant will be used and you have to keep an eye on the expansion tank. I could add another litre or so.

Ailatan

• Able Seaman
« Reply #7 on: March 13 2024, 06:21 »
Thanks Yngmar and Krumelur.

I asked about the material of the heat exchanger because I found two thin stainless steel gaskets between the exhaust elbow (original not stainless steel) and the heat exchanger. This have produced some galvanic corrosion and the worst part was in the heat exchanger.
But if I understand right brass is stronger than cast iron for galvanic purposes so the worst part should have been in the exhaust elbow