Author Topic: Torque settings, 2003 Bavaria 38, keel bolts  (Read 1115 times)

mjt2

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
Torque settings, 2003 Bavaria 38, keel bolts
« on: December 08 2023, 16:08 »
I am on the hard next week and would like to check the torque on my keel bolts. 
Where can i get the specs for the torque on those bolts?

Thanks!

JEN-et-ROSS

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Lagoon
  • Boat Year: 1990
Re: Torque settings, 2003 Bavaria 38, keel bolts
« Reply #1 on: December 09 2023, 09:05 »
Can I ask?
Is there a reason that you want to re-torque the bolts?...
They are going to be extremely tight, and to re-torque you'll almost definitely require to loosen them first..
This whole process will need a lot of muscle and may, I say may, compromise the sealant protecting the bolts...
Probably better to withdraw one completely, inspect it, re-seal it and then torque it up again...
Whether you attempt to do them all is up to you, but bear in mind if you shear one off, you're now in deep 'Do Dah'.....

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: December 09 2023, 12:46 »
I would recommend that you DO NOT touch your keel bolts unless there is a specific reason. All you will do by re-torquing them is to stretch and weaken them.

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #3 on: December 09 2023, 15:21 »
This is the standard table of torque by size - I think your bolts are M12
crafter.fastenal.com/static-assets/pdfs/Torque_of_Metric_Stainless_Steel.pdf
however as others have advised there is no reason to touch them unless there has been damage to the keel which requires dismantling or inspection. The keel is glued on as well as mechanically fastened and the bolts are secure effectively for ever if there is no damage.

PEA-JAY

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: B-Cruiser 39
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #4 on: December 09 2023, 22:15 »
When re-torquing, also be aware that torque values differ significantly when a bolt is lubricated or dry!

kavok

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 40 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2008
« Reply #5 on: December 13 2023, 16:53 »
Can I ask?
Is there a reason that you want to re-torque the bolts?...
They are going to be extremely tight, and to re-torque you'll almost definitely require to loosen them first..
This whole process will need a lot of muscle and may, I say may, compromise the sealant protecting the bolts...
Probably better to withdraw one completely, inspect it, re-seal it and then torque it up again...
Whether you attempt to do them all is up to you, but bear in mind if you shear one off, you're now in deep 'Do Dah'.....
I agree with your answare.
However
this is the official Bavaria answer for 40 Cruiser 2008 nuts kell torque:
the lower nuts on the keel bolts were using a torque wrench tightened with 363 Nm.

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #6 on: December 13 2023, 22:31 »
The torque figures are given for those replacing keels after repair work. They are critical because the keels are also glued on and the correct torque is required to ensure the glue cures properly. Also many boats particularly the larger sizes are shipped to dealers without the keels to reduce height for transport so dealers need to folow the instructions carefully when attaching the keels. once attached and torqued up there should be no need for further checking.