Author Topic: I need to replace my prop... what do I get???  (Read 762 times)

mjt2

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
I need to replace my prop... what do I get???
« on: November 21 2023, 12:06 »
Hi,  II need to replace the prop that was on my boat. Mine went missing, which is its own separate thing.
I have a 2003 Bavaria 38 with a Volvo Penta D2-50 with Sail Drive.

Where do I go to find out what prop I need?  Mine was 3-blade, appeared silver in color under the water, and had a "cone" on the end that I think was supposed to be holding the prop on. Any pointers, links, company names, etc. all gratefully accepted.

Thanks!
Matthew

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: I need to replace my prop... what do I get???
« Reply #1 on: November 21 2023, 12:33 »
That is a standard Volvo fixed blade propeller available from any Volvo dealer. You will also need a new cone nut and locking screw plus a delrin washer that sits in front of the propeller and isolates it from the drive. The normal size would be 17*15 for that size boat and engine.

You might consider taking the opportunity to fit a folding or feathering propeller as this will give you improved performance under sail. Obviously more expensive, but if you are keeping the boat and do a lot of sailing a worthwhile investment. There are various different makes and you will need to see what is available where you are.

mjt2

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #2 on: November 21 2023, 14:23 »
Thank you!  Very helpful.

Do you know a specific model number?

Thanks again!

Matthew

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #3 on: November 21 2023, 22:54 »
For the Volvo propeller, no. They are all the same in the sense that the basic design fits all models of saildrives. Individual sizes are defined by number of blades and diameter/pitch. So you need to quote 17" diameter and 15" pitch. However it is better to give the supplier details of your boat and get them to calculate the correct size. The one I suggested is that fitted to similar boats and engine combinations by the Bavaria factory, but the list I have does not specifically show a 38 with a D2 55. Most were fitted with a 40hp, but the similar slightly later 39 with a D2 50 is listed as 17*15.

john102345

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Bavaria
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #4 on: December 29 2023, 14:31 »

Hi All
My experience
I had a 2 blade Volvo prop on my 2011 Bavaria 36 cruiser standard fit when new.
I recently moved my boat from Plymouth to Largs (August 2023) & decided to fit a Darglow Feartherstream 3 bladed prop for various reasons.

When it arrived I did not know if to put it on the boat or store in a glass cabinet complete work of art incredibly well made expensive yes.
I fitted it myself on an overnight lift & jet wash before setting off to Largs, well it has transformed the speeds & the boat.

Now sailing at 6-7 knots instead of 5-5.5 knots with engine off
Motor sailing at 2000rpm she was doing 7-8.5 knots
Motor sailing at 1500 rpm she was doing 6-8 knots
On the trip up North it was taking 60 - 90 mins off a day’s sailing (over 10 - 12 hours)
It is as powerful in forward as in reverse

I have never suffered from prop walk on the original 2 blade prop & the new Darglow is the same I can reverse 2-300 metres in a straight line with no effort as long as I keep an eye on the revs.
Would I buy one again/ Yes defo