Author Topic: 2001 50' Bavaria rudder bearings, shaft tube and lip seals  (Read 1182 times)

Rappitysnap

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: 50 sail
  • Boat Year: 2001
  Greetings, We are the owners of a 2001 50' Bavaria shallow draft version, 5 cabin. The time has come to service our rudder system, I need two replace the aluminum shaft tube, bearings, lip seals and hose, (all the serviceable parts). I contacted Jeffa with my year and model and say they have no info on my vessel. Has anyone here replaced these parts and how did you determine you ordered the correct parts? Thanks, SV/ Amy Renae

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
Re: 2001 50' Bavaria rudder bearings, shaft tube and lip seals
« Reply #1 on: November 17 2023, 22:02 »
I looked at the plans from Jefa and ordered the wrong parts because my boat's rudder wasn't built to those plans. So the only way to be sure is to drop the rudder, measure it and then order the stuff.

Good luck getting the tube off! You'll probably have to cut it.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Rappitysnap

• Cadet
« Reply #2 on: November 27 2023, 23:36 »
Surprisingly identifying the proper replacement parts is a big challenge for my 2001 50' Bavaria.The plans Jeff sent me also look to be incorrect. Ive been emailing back and forth with Jeffa no luck yet, seems there's not a clear cut replacement bearing kit that's easy to assign to a model and year. Im in a third world country and worried about ordering wrong size parts. Any 50' Bavaria owners replace their bearings on this forum?

MagicalArmchair

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #3 on: November 28 2023, 12:27 »
Clipper marina are quite helpful in the UK, and have quite a lot of Bavaria spacific knowledge - if you get the parts from them there will be a premium you pay, however it might be worth it for peace of mind. Jefa were very helpful for me, so I went direct.

My adventure replacing the bearings on Mirage is below. Hope this helps, and good luck!

http://www.sailingmirage.uk/blog/seizing-up-rudder-on-passage-how-to-replace-your-rudder-bearings/

Rappitysnap

• Cadet
« Reply #4 on: November 30 2023, 18:09 »
Thanks Armchair for the link and the useful info. Good read on your blog seems it went well for you. Seems your rudder and components are similar to mine. Did you get lucky with ordering the parts before hand or measure after dropping the rudder?