Author Topic: New Anchors?  (Read 1693 times)

BrunsonDid

• Swab
New Anchors?
« on: October 30 2023, 09:44 »
I have a 2003 B44. The anchor on it - a CQR i think - has been too unreliable for us in the chesapeake.

After much research, i grabbed a manson supreme but the fitting to the boat is going to be a painful headache (possibly a custom anchor roller, fabricate new anchor locker cover, need to reposition the bow light, etc.).

Has anyone replaced their anchor? Recommendations?

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: New Anchors?
« Reply #1 on: October 30 2023, 10:41 »
We fitted a Rocna, and yes, had to modify the bow roller and move the bow lights. Worth it though as we lived at anchor for many summers.

If you want an easier job, look at modern anchors without roller bars, such as Vulcan, Spade or (rob a bank) Ultra. These will still vastly outperform the CQR but should fit without making a project of it.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: October 30 2023, 11:05 »
Also look at the Lewmar Epsilon which is more modestly priced (at least in the UK) and available with or without a roll bar. Should go straight on your current roller and like all NG anchors much better than the CQR you have.

PEA-JAY

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: B-Cruiser 39
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #3 on: October 30 2023, 11:23 »
The problem with the anchor that came supplied with the boat (2005 Cruiser 39) was that it wasn't a genuine CQR!  The stock was much too heavy and unlike the genuine CQR on my previous (Moody 376) didn't set properly. Replaced it with a Lewmar Delta 20kg that self launches and recovers without alteration to the bow roller. Incidentally Lewmar's recommendation was 16Kg. but SHE ... ;) !   

marioxp

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #4 on: October 31 2023, 13:17 »
I also replaced the CQR with a Mantus M1, which is very similar in shape to the Rocna anchors.
The roll bar is not a problem for me, the bow roller is long enough that the roll bar does not interfere.

But when I raise the anchor at the moment when it goes from a vertical position to a horizontal position, it jumps so fast that sometimes it hits the furlex.

Can this sudden transition be mitigated somehow?

Does anyone use the bow roller with rocker?

Mario

Krumelur

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2010
« Reply #5 on: November 01 2023, 15:13 »
I don't have these sudden transitions using the bow roller.
I'm using the Rocna 20kg on my 40 on the original bow roller. It replaced a Kobra 16kg version.
No modifications were required.

sunnmøre

• Swab
  • Boat Model: bavaria 36ac
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #6 on: November 04 2023, 08:11 »
Has anyone tried the Epsilon? Are going to buy a new anchor for my 34 Cruiser(2009). Have seen tests on Youtube (Penelope), and Epsilon are doing quite bad. Rocna is also doing bad in his tests, so I do not know...

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #7 on: November 04 2023, 11:33 »
I have an Epsilon, but not on a Bavaria. Limited use so far but sets well and have no doubts about its ultimate holding power as it is rated SHHP. Doubt Lewmar would have introduced it if it did not have superior properties to the Delta. My only complaint is about the poor finish compared with other NG anchors, but then it is nearly half the price.