Author Topic: Bavaria 50 Vision rudder angle  (Read 1023 times)

James Blackmore

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 50 Vision
  • Boat Year: 2007
Bavaria 50 Vision rudder angle
« on: October 17 2023, 19:16 »
I wonder if anyone can help me. We have a Bavaria 50 Vision (2007). We recently hit something mid English Channel and the rudder got ripped off.
We have replacement from Bavaria, which has been fitted and is at exactly the same angle to the hull as the old one, but I have never thought it look right (very vertical, rather than staked slightly aft as most rudders are).
Would anyone have any pictures of a 50 Vision ashore that I can compare?

Thank you in advance for any help. Angle of mine attached, note very tight at the front.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Bavaria 50 Vision rudder angle
« Reply #1 on: October 17 2023, 20:10 »
Image search provides: https://itboat.com/uploads/55b9/0aa0bcaa1377.jpg

There's however no way to fit the rudder at the wrong angle. The new rudder comes with the post embedded. The post goes in a hole top and bottom, unless either hole has moved, the rudder is in the only place it can be.

So if it's different, it must be because the rudder itself is built differently. Which is quite possible.

Does it matter? Probably not much! :)
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: October 17 2023, 23:00 »
Yes, that generation of Bavaria designs had vertical rudder stocks. It was only the next generation with a different designer (Farr instead of J&J) that aft raked rudders were used. Vertical rudders are perhaps more common across the board than aft swept ones.

Krumelur

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2010
« Reply #3 on: October 18 2023, 12:59 »
Looks perfectly fine to me. You want to rotate the boat around an axis perpendicular to the waterline and this rudder will do a perfect job :-)