Author Topic: Suggestions for folding prop on B46/2005  (Read 1538 times)

SYJetzt

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 46
  • Boat Year: 2005
Suggestions for folding prop on B46/2005
« on: October 04 2023, 15:41 »
After sailing /motoring 3000 miles this year i'm thinking about fitting a folding prop instead of my fixed 3 blade original volvo prop.
Have a D2/75C and a SD150, boat is quite heavy due to a lot of stuff we are carrying as liveaboards.
Which types are favourable?.
Which increased sailing performance could i expect?
Which drawbacks if motoring/ manouvering?
What is the optimal  dimension or the process to find it?
Which price could i expect?
Which source to buy from (EU shop perferred)?
Any suggestions appeciated!

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: Suggestions for folding prop on B46/2005
« Reply #1 on: October 04 2023, 16:50 »
First choice is between feathering or folding and my preference would be feathering. Make for feathering Darglow Featherstream and if you go folding FlexOfold. I have had both, although the folding was before the Featherstream was available for Saildrives.

In terms of sailing performance, the benefit is mostly at lower speeds in %age terms before hull drag becomes the dominant factor. You can expect overall a typical increase of 0.5-0,75 knots. The important thing is that unlike other speed enhancement things like sails it is constant and needs no effort to achieve. There should be very little difference in performance under motor compared with a fixed blade prop and at least with a feathering prop probably an improvement in reverse.

To purchase suggest you deal direct with the manufacturer unless they refer you to an agent. FlexOfold in Denmark. Featherstream are made in the UK but will of course ship to wherever you are located darglow.co.uk/featherstream/ Take the size recommended by the manufacturer as they will do the calculations based on your boat plus will also already have experience of similar boats. I have bought from Darglow, both Featherstream and FlexoFold (they are UK agents) and always exactly right on size.

These propellers are not cheap. Last year I bought a 17" 3 blade shaft drive Featherstream and it was £1800 including VAT. Suspect for your size it will be equivalent of around £3000.

Hope this helps.

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: October 05 2023, 13:49 »
I have a Bavaria 49 and changed from a 3-blade fixed prop to a Featherstream 3-blade about 4 years ago.

Sailing performance has improved by 0.5-1kt.  Motoring is the same.  Reverse and close-quarters manouvering is vastly improved.

I have a 20", which I suspect is what they will spec for your boat, and the pitch is set with a cassette insert.  They will spec the prop for you, and if you find it needs a bit more (or less) pitch, they will send you another cassette for you to change it (so you have no danger of buying the wrong pitch prop and then being stuck with it).

The service from Darglow is superb.

I wholeheartedly recommend both the product and the company.

Jake

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 44
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #3 on: October 07 2023, 16:23 »
I have a 2004 model Bavaria 44.  I went with the FlexoFold.  It's been a great prop and was spec'd at 18"x14".  I can achieve 3000 rpm.  It is also quiet undersail.  I never liked the fixed prop spinning while sailing.

Jake
Jake Brodersen
Winedown
Bavaria 44

SYJetzt

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 46
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #4 on: October 07 2023, 19:51 »
Thank you all for your suggestions!
Another question:
I like the prop walk of my fixed pripeller, especially when manouvering in close harbours. What could i expect from a feathering/foldable propeller?

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #5 on: October 07 2023, 23:15 »
Probably be less at least with a feathering propeller. One of the advantages of a Featherstream is that you can have a different pitch in reverse from forward. One my current propeller I have less pitch in reverse which does reduce prop walk as the thrust is more progressive. It makes moving backwards possible at lower speeds as well. My experience with the 2 blade folder on the 37 was that it made no difference, but then it had little prop walk anyway. On the 33 with the same propeller again no real prop walk but I never used it with the fixed prop so have no comparison.

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: October 13 2023, 16:10 »
The Featherstream does walk, but it is somewhat controllable.

If you put the boat in reverse tick-over, it walks sideways. If you put it in reverse and give it a blast, it doesn't walk.  So you have the best of both worlds.