Author Topic: Bavaria 38 ocean replace keel  (Read 1407 times)

ulfb

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 1998
Bavaria 38 ocean replace keel
« on: September 09 2023, 13:03 »
Is it possible to buy a shallow keel for the Bavaria 38 ocean?
If possible where can I buy it?
I currently have a standard keel (1.95m) but plan to go through Europe's canals and also visit shallow water areas.

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: Bavaria 38 ocean replace keel
« Reply #1 on: September 09 2023, 13:15 »
Welcome to the forum

No is the simple answer. There was never a shallow keel option because the boat was specifically aimed at offshore cruising so had a very efficient lead keel of a draft that is quite normal for the size of boat at the time. The only production fixed keel boat of similar size and design with draft that will go through the canals is the Moody 37/376 with the optional Scheel keel at 1.5m. In the Bavaria range the 37 cruiser from the same time was available with a shallow 1.4m keel. I had one specifically so that we could take it through the canals, although in the event we did not. Sailing performance was much compromised by the shallow keel in offshore conditions although adequate in its main use which was a charter boat in the Ionian.

geoff

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: 40 ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #2 on: September 09 2023, 14:20 »
The 40 ocean was offered with a shallow keel ,and the 40 is in almost all respects a 38+2 . Geoff

Jake

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 44
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #3 on: September 09 2023, 17:21 »
Another option is to modify your current keel.  This is done over here in the States by cutting the keel off, usually with a chain saw, and then attaching a lead bulb to each side.  MarsKeels produces the bulbs.  They also produce new keels, if you were interested in that route.  A shorter keel will probably have more weight and be wider, sacrificing some sailing performance to gain a shallower profile.

Jake

2004 Bav 44
Jake Brodersen
Winedown
Bavaria 44

ulfb

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 1998
« Reply #4 on: September 09 2023, 17:40 »
Thanks,
It is possible to buy Bavaria 38 Ocean with shallow keel 1.55 m, the question is where can I get it somewhere?
Alternatively I can order from keel foundry I guess?
In that case, it is good to have a drawing or template for the original shallow keel 1.55 m

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #5 on: September 09 2023, 23:26 »
I doubt that many, if any were actually built with that keel - which will be different from the 40 because of the greater displacement of the 40.

I am relying on memory from the year 2000 when I was in the market for a shallow draft boat like the Ocean or the Moody and was advised that the shallow keel was not common and that there was a significant loss in performance. At that point i was looking to buy a boat in the UK and then take it through the canal. I changed direction and bought the 37 for delivery in Greece with the long term aim of bringing it to the UK through the canals.

I think your best bet is to contact the designers J&J in Slovenia who will have the drawings for the keel and may well know if the patterns for it still exist. Be aware it is a massive and expensive job to have a one off keel cast and remove your existing keel which is bonded to the hull as well as fastened by the bolts. 

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #6 on: September 10 2023, 09:09 »

Be aware it is a massive and expensive job to have a one off keel cast and remove your existing keel which is bonded to the hull as well as fastened by the bolts.

Probably cheaper to change the boat.