Author Topic: Solent stay attachment  (Read 1299 times)

Ailatan

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44
  • Boat Year: 2003
Solent stay attachment
« on: August 23 2023, 23:15 »
My B44 (2003) has a Solent stay that meets the deck just behind the stay in an stainless steel piece that also holds the geenaker pole (see picture attached).
I have never used this Solent stay neither the jib that is attached to that stay, but I foresee that I will have to beat with winds gusting 30knts in the next days and I see that this piece is lifted at the area where the stay is attached. Is that normal?

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Solent stay attachment
« Reply #1 on: August 24 2023, 10:30 »
That's someone's badly designed custom modification, which cannot hold rigging loads the way it was designed. It has already been overloaded and is now bent. It has no support in the direction the force is applied to it. Nice welds though! :)

A properly designed one would use a chainplate extending down to the hull.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: August 24 2023, 12:13 »
Agree, not well designed, although a toggle would help. Not sure having a second stay that far forward is a good idea. Further aft with a means of transferring the load to the hull rather than just the deck would be better.

Ailatan

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #3 on: August 24 2023, 12:43 »
Thanks guys, you confirm what I was thinking but I think I have seen that piece in other Bavarias and I thought it was some kind of unofficial arrangement.
May be the local dealer designed.
Regarding moving the attachment backwards I think it's not easy in the three cabins distribution.
In any case if other owners of a similar boat and age wants to share their arrangements I can get ideas to design a new solution