Author Topic: Trudesign failure?  (Read 1455 times)

kavok

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 40 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2008
Trudesign failure?
« on: July 15 2023, 09:02 »
I ask to all that mounted Trudesign skin fittings and valve, if they had failure or other problem with their valve, as for example imossibility to full open or close it.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Trudesign failure?
« Reply #1 on: July 15 2023, 09:39 »
None, and they don't seize from dis-use (left open/closed for a long time) either. We stopped exercising them (open/close once a month) as we noticed it makes no difference.

If you're about to install them, on angled hosetails I would strongly recommend an adhesive sealant to keep the tail from rotating and then leaking as a result.

I've bedded most of them with PU adhesive sealant to the hull and the huge 2" cockpit drains I glassed in fair to the hull and both worked great with no problems.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

kavok

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 40 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2008
« Reply #2 on: July 15 2023, 10:55 »
I have Trudesign  from 2019, bonded with 3M 5200 fc.
My are perfect.
I read about one person, on italian fb group, that has Trudesign in his swimming pool and said he had changed valve 4 time in 10 years because its remain bloked ,non cose not open. So I am asking in an internatinal forum where, the high number of person, could be better indicator.

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #3 on: July 15 2023, 11:30 »

I read about one person, on italian fb group, that has Trudesign in his swimming pool and said he had changed valve 4 time in 10 years because its remain bloked ,non cose not open.

I doubt that this person has genuine Trudesign valves.  It's very unusual for anyone to fit Trudesign valves in a swimming pool, as they cost so much more than the normal, readily-available ABS valves sold for swimming pool pipework.  My swimming pool was built 30 years ago and it's still working fine with ordinary ABS valves.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #4 on: July 15 2023, 12:43 »
I have Trudesign  from 2019, bonded with 3M 5200 fc.
My are perfect.
I read about one person, on italian fb group, that has Trudesign in his swimming pool and said he had changed valve 4 time in 10 years because its remain bloked ,non cose not open. So I am asking in an internatinal forum where, the high number of person, could be better indicator.

That would be a very ignorant use of materials. Pools are loaded with chlorine. Tru-Design valves are made of Nylon reinforced with glass fibres. Nylon is attacked by chlorine, as anyone can look up in a handy plastics/chemical reference table. Nobody ever recommended Tru-Design for use in swimming pools, and they cost more than using the correct plumbing for pools. On a boat, you might occasionally pour a weak chlorine solution down the sink, which isn't a problem, but constant immersion would be.

But as Tiger79 says, it's highly improbably they were actual Tru-Design valves anyways, especially if it was 10 years ago, where they were barely known at all. Don't believe everything you read on Facebook  >:(
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: July 16 2023, 11:16 »
No problems with my Trudesign fittings. Fabulous bits of kit.