Author Topic: AIS fixed under the deck  (Read 1262 times)

Ailatan

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44
  • Boat Year: 2003
AIS fixed under the deck
« on: June 19 2023, 08:08 »
I am thinking on buying an AIS that has integrated GPS antenna (EM-trak serie 950) but I don't know if a GPS antenna will work inside of our Bavarias.
In case of positive answer I was thinking on fixing the AIS on the ceiling of the cupboard that is on top of the electric panel. I will need to remove part of the wood so I can screw directly under the deck.
If someone thinks is a bad idea please share. Other options?

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: AIS fixed under the deck
« Reply #1 on: June 19 2023, 08:34 »
Modern GPS receivers are sensitive enough to work inside a GRP boat (unless you put them directly below some metal fittings), but they'll perform worse than one mounted outside. Also, the location is often closer to the mast, boom and stays, which block a clear view of the sky, so you get fewer satellites at good angles and thus a less precise location (which is usually fine too).

So if you want the perfect signal, inside isn't great. But it'll probably be sufficient, especially if the GPS signal is only used for AIS, not plotting your own location on your chart, for which you probably already have a better situated GPS receiver. Doesn't matter if the ship sees your boat 5m away from its actual location as long as it sees your boat. You can always wire it up temporarily and see how the reception is before mounting it there.

Oh, and do check the mounting instructions for orientation. Upside down mounts aren't always going to work depending on where the GPS antenna is inside the unit.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Ailatan

• Able Seaman
« Reply #2 on: June 19 2023, 13:12 »
Thanks Yngmar,
"do check the mounting instructions for orientation. Upside down mounts aren't always going to work depending on where the GPS antenna is inside the unit."
That's also a good point. I'll ask the customer service, meanwhile if someone has tried this brand and wants to share his/her experience is very welcome

Ailatan

• Able Seaman
« Reply #3 on: June 20 2023, 19:33 »
I got the answer from EM-trak and the permission to share for the benefit of someone in the same situation.

"For the installation, Ideally horizontally with the LEDs facing up. If installing upside down, we would advise keeping an eye on the GNSS status tab in proAIS2 configuration software for signal strength before permanent installation. Please note, It also needs to be installed under 25mm / 1" or less of GRP, plywood or glass when using the internal GPS antenna."

1simon

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Ocean
  • Boat Year: 1998
« Reply #4 on: June 22 2023, 22:17 »
Tomorrow will be installing an Em-trak B922( with wifi and gps)
Hopefully all goes well and i will be able to give feedback.

Ailatan

• Able Seaman
« Reply #5 on: June 23 2023, 18:40 »
I would also like to install it tomorrow but for the moment I am trying to configurate using the software and I had a couple of problems that I want to share in case someone is in the same situation.
First I tried to install the software PROAIS2 but I couldn't complete the installation in my laptop with Windows 8, so I wrote an email to the customer service and in less than one hour I got a new link with a new version of the program. I run that program and had no problems now. I also copied the unzipped folder in a new place and run the setup program from that folder.
Once the program is installed you can connect the AIS with the computer through the USB cable. No need the power cable of the AIS at this stage.
Then select on the top box "AIS Class B Transceiver (COM)" and then click on the box "Connect" and you can start writing the information of your boat. The only information that is necessary is the name, MMSI and the place of the GPS antenna.
If you want to know more about the other options you should go to the em-trak.com/support and click in FAQs and then in "How do I use ProAIS2?"

Jeffatoms

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Ocean 38
  • Boat Year: 1998
« Reply #6 on: June 29 2023, 04:39 »
Here in the US, we purchased our Em-Trak from Milltech.com.  Price was great and they did all the internal programming and sent to us a plug and play, ready to install unit.  It was easy and fast.

Ailatan

• Able Seaman
« Reply #7 on: June 29 2023, 06:08 »
This weekend I did not make much progress, but I was able to confirm that if I put the AIS just on the chart table the GPS signal is strong enough and that the laptop does not connect to the AIS unless the laptop is connected to the power supply.