Author Topic: Looking for ideas: keep the top loader fridge tidy?  (Read 1506 times)

Krumelur

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2010
It's always the same: I come to the boat, I put water bottles (and beer) into my top loader fridge. I add two or three Tupper boxes full with cheese, ham, and bacon. The world is good.
Three days later then the first shopping trip on a lovely island:
- Wild boar sausages!
- Big chunk of smoked ham
- A tasty melon
- And, yummy, these coconut yoghurts you can only get in France

And it goes on.
As a result, the fridge becomes a mess. The melon takes up much space without offering a stable surface for my Tupper boxes. The bottles are now just stuffed into the fridge. The yoghurt will always be at the bottom, squeezed by one of the bottles, leaking. The ham is often enough falling into the mess, getting soaked.

How the hell are you guys dealing with this? I'm tempted to cut the top loader out and install a proper fridge! Or is there some way of better organizing things? I was wondering I should install separators, maybe that helps. Let me know what you're doing to avoid the mess :-)

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Looking for ideas: keep the top loader fridge tidy?
« Reply #1 on: June 14 2023, 15:31 »
Ours had a second level with wire baskets, where we kept the small bits and things you didn't want super cold (butter, lettuce, etc.).

In the bottom, we got some cheap plastic baskets, sized so about 4 of them fit in there. Then you can organize things and if you take out the front basket, slide the rear basket forward and access things back there. Also kept bottles standing up in the tall space in front without surfing around in there on a rough sail.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Krumelur

• Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: June 14 2023, 18:44 »
We have the two baskets too. One in the front and in the back. But maybe getting some wired ones to use them at the lower level sounds like a good idea.

JEN-et-ROSS

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Lagoon
  • Boat Year: 1990
« Reply #3 on: July 23 2023, 17:23 »
We inherited one rack on one side of the fridge just beneath the lid...
This left a void under the rack where stuff just piled up preventing cold air from circulating.. Not good.. 
But I spotted a set of three rectangular fridge storage baskets in Aldi that turned out to be just the right size to fit in the fridge and allow the air to circulate much better. (they also prevent stuff from sitting right on the bottom of the fridge).........Bill.

Krumelur

• Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: July 24 2023, 21:24 »
Any pictures or references?