Author Topic: Replace Delta (Kobra, actually!) anchor with Rocna  (Read 2655 times)

Krumelur

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2010
I want to replace my 16kg Delta Kobra with a Rocna anchor. 
For a 40 foot Bav, I’m planning to go with the 20kg version.
Would you recommend going to 25kg?

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: Replace Delta anchor with Rocna
« Reply #1 on: June 07 2023, 22:42 »
Definitely not. A Rocna has almost twice the holding power of a Delta so why would you want a larger anchor? Your 40 is towards the top end of the recommended sizing for a 16kg, but I could understand if you are expecting to be anchoring in extreme conditions a 25kg might sound attractive, but in "normal" use you will never be able to access the additional holding power. Rocna specifically advise against oversizing. You may find a roll bar anchor does not fit well on your bow roller and a non roll bar anchor like a Rocna Vulcan or an Epsilon is a better bet. All of these will outperform your Delta, even keeping to 16kg.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #2 on: June 07 2023, 22:43 »
Depends on your anchoring. If you want to live at anchor in any weather, definitely go with the 25kg. Suited us well! We painted ours yellow so we can see it in clear water.

If you're just leaving the marina to anchor for lunch in calm weather, don't bother replacing the Delta.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Lazy Pelican

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #3 on: June 08 2023, 07:07 »
FWIW we have a 20kg Spade on our B39 (12.14m). We’re in the Aegean and anchor all year. Never felt the need to go bigger.

Sootydog

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 39 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2008
« Reply #4 on: June 08 2023, 20:27 »
We have a 25kg Rocna and 85m of 8mm chain fitted to our 2008 Bav 39.  Once set, we don't move and it resets well if the wind shifts.  From memory, I think a minor mod to the bow roller was required.

Krumelur

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: June 12 2023, 06:31 »
Thank for your input.
As coincidence wants it I found an offer of a 20kg Rocna on eBay Market for just €400. Brand new. The guy bought it from ANW.de which went bankrupt, so he cannot return it. Turns out the anchor won't fit on his boat and so he was looking for an alternative and we made a deal: taking over the shipping costs I would send him my old anchor and I'm now owner of a brand new Rocna at a very good price. :-)

WRT finding the anchor better on the ground and painting it yellow: I have a small buoyant bright orange plastic ball attached to the anchor on a piece of rope which allow for nice visibility from above.

Krumelur

• Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: June 16 2023, 10:33 »
The 20kg Rocna has arrived. For all those interested, here are pictures showing a side by side comparison:

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #7 on: June 16 2023, 11:42 »
That old anchor is a Kobra, not a Delta. Supposedly quite a bit better, although never tried. Still, the Rocna will vastly outperform both :)

Did it fit without problems?
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Krumelur

• Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: June 19 2023, 06:33 »
Kobra - I keep Mixing them up! I edited the post two times and again got it wrong 😑

I haven’t fitted it yet. Comparing them side by side I don’t foresee any problems though. Although, boat projects… 🤣

Craig

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
Re: Replace Delta (Kobra, actually!) anchor with Rocna
« Reply #9 on: June 21 2023, 04:52 »
I have a 20kg Kobra on a 2010 Bavaria 38. It held for 3 days in winds up to 75kns in the Bora in Croatia. 4m depth and 40mplus chain out. Wind varied in direction alot so I put out another anchor just in front of the boat to reduce the swinging. Deltas do have problems, Kobras seem to be better. I think the Rocna is probably better again but what I like about the Kobra is that it resets easily if the wind changes 180 degrees.

Ailatan

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #10 on: June 22 2023, 13:28 »
Have you seen the Steve Goodwin channel in YouTube with all the tests to different anchor brands and different conditions?
Apparently the Viking is the best anchor in the market. I would like to know if someone has tried and wants to share his/her opinion.
I am thinking on changing mine but not very sure what option to choose.

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #11 on: June 22 2023, 22:34 »
There are many claims for "the best" whereas in reality there are a lot of very good anchors that are vastly superior to the older style such as the CQR and Delta. You will find as many opinions as there are people, but very few test their anchors to extreme. Once you have decided to go for what is generally known as " New Generation" anchor. Overall there is little to choose between them and for many the deciding factor is whether it fits on the bow roller. Be wary of "oversizing" - the setting ability and ultimate holding power of NG anchors is so superior to old style of similar weight That there is an argument for "normal" sailing to consider going down a size on some boats. Some makers like Rocna specifically advise not to oversize.

My personal choice is an Epsilon, the latest from Lewmar which compares very well with other NG anchors selling at twice the price.

marp

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
« Reply #12 on: July 31 2023, 19:11 »
We have a 25kg Rocna and 85m of 8mm chain fitted to our 2008 Bav 39.  Once set, we don't move and it resets well if the wind shifts.  From memory, I think a minor mod to the bow roller was required.

Hi, Do You remember what mod was needed? this is exacly the set up i want to upgrade to and hoped to go without modification on bow roller.

Captain Jan

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Holiday
  • Boat Year: 1997
« Reply #13 on: August 20 2023, 10:34 »
We upgraded our CQR to a 20kg Rocna, 80m of 8mm chain, all ok on our Bav 38. A good size/ weight for us. Never needed this chain length but one day we will hence the length.  There have been some good relevant experience on anchoring performance in this thread,  so if anyone has a suggestion on reducing the endless sheering in stronger winds, when at anchor in the conventional way, load on the anchor chain on the roller, that would be a great help.  A bridle, offset attachment, a flotation buoy to improve forward chain lead have made negligible benefit on our Bav 39 1997. 

Jeffatoms

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Ocean 38
  • Boat Year: 1998
« Reply #14 on: August 20 2023, 17:36 »
We too upgraded from a 45 pound CQR to a 20kg Rocna with 285 feet of all chain (80 meters, coincidentally) and a new Lewmar V1 windlass with manual recovery on our 38 Ocean.   I really liked the CQR but I love the Rocna.  We are just starting our 22 day cruise of the San Juan and Gulf Islands.  Last night it set and stuck immediately.  Wow immediately and it dug in deep.

I mention the manual recovery clutch as being very important but not sold as part of the standard equipment package but as a $200US upgrade.  We learned the importance of that last year when the SL windlass died.

Krumelur

• Old Salt
« Reply #15 on: August 22 2023, 09:25 »
I did some initial tests with the 20kg Rocna. It performs exceptionally well. Literally, I just drop it and done.
Also, it fits nicely and no adjustments were required on the bow.