Author Topic: Greece compulsory insurance  (Read 1066 times)

marioxp

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2003
Greece compulsory insurance
« on: June 06 2023, 08:12 »
This year I intend to spend the summer in Greece, I know that some of you come to Greece or keep a boat in Greece, so maybe you know how to solve the compulsory insurance.

I read that the Greek government requires insurance for all sailing ships coming to Greece in the amount of:

civil liability for the death or bodily injury of passengers and third parties: one hundred and fifty thousand (150,000) euros, per person and seven hundred thousand (700,000) euros, per incident and two million one hundred thousand (2,100,000) euros in total for the entire insurance period,

civil liability for material damage to passengers and third parties: one hundred and fifty thousand (150,000) euros, per incident and four hundred and fifty thousand (450,000) euros in total for the entire insurance period,

civil liability for causing sea pollution: one hundred and fifty thousand (150,000) euros, per event and four hundred and fifty thousand (450,000) euros in total for the entire insurance period.

How do you solve this, do you take insurance from your own country or do you take Greek insurance, and which one?

Croatia also has compulsory insurance, but not in this detail and for a much smaller insured amount. So Croatia can't help me, I asked them to adjust the insurance policies, but they couldn't offer me exactly what Greece is asking for, and I'm afraid I'll have problems in Greece.

My boat is a Bavaria 36 from 2003. with a 21kW motor. Registered under the Croatian flag.

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: Greece compulsory insurance
« Reply #1 on: June 06 2023, 08:21 »
Speak to your insurer. When I kept my boat in Greece it was insured with a UK insurer for cover to meet the Greek requirements, and indeed al the other countries in the Med and provided the necessary documents (Certificate of insurance) translated into Greek.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #2 on: June 06 2023, 10:57 »
It's normally included in your boat insurance, we've had Pantaenius and their standard limits were 10 million EUR "Maximum indemnity for personal injury and/or property damage" and 8 million EUR "Maximum per person". This is without requesting any extras - personal injury is extremely rare, so it's not a great risk for them and shouldn't cost much extra, if any.

Sounds like you need to talk to your Croatian insurer and if they're being difficult, mention that you will then have to switch to a more suitable one. Since they're Croatian, try angrily shouting at them >:D. If this doesn't result in things being suddenly possible, ask others. The flag state matters, so make sure you include this in your queries.

You do not normally need or want an additional insurance from a Greek provider, as it's going to be costly and bothersome and difficult to claim!
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

marioxp

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
« Reply #3 on: June 06 2023, 14:28 »
Thank you for your answers, it seems that you have better insurance than here in Croatia.
I have currently received a quote from Wiener osiguranje and they claim that the policy covers everything requested, although it is decidedly not written.
I don't trust insurance companies, when you buy an insurance policy anything is possible, but when they have to pay the damage, it turns out that it is not covered.

In Croatia, mandatory insurance required by the government covers injuries up to 500,000 euros, and the policy costs about 25 euros. It is compulsory insurance. Additionally, I take comprehensive insurance, which for a boat worth 40,000 euros costs about 350.00 euros per year.

How much do you pay for insurance?

Ailatan

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44
« Reply #4 on: June 06 2023, 18:03 »
I paid 920€ for a 44 same age than yours