Author Topic: Sacrifice anode in a QL calorifier  (Read 2169 times)

Ailatan

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44
  • Boat Year: 2003
Sacrifice anode in a QL calorifier
« on: March 12 2023, 19:37 »
I have a QL calorifier and had a current leakage to earth, so I need to replace the heater element, but reading another post of this forum it was mentioned that the calorifiers should have a sacrifice anode.
I've been reading the owners manual and doesn't mention that anode and it's not even in the spare part list.
Does anyone know if this brand has such anode?
Is this the right replacement because I have found something similar in a local store for a fraction of the price but without the anode.
https://www.svb-marine.es/es/quick-resistencia-800-w-220-v.html

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
Re: Sacrifice anode in a QL calorifier
« Reply #1 on: March 12 2023, 20:07 »
I wouldn't worry about an anode.  You just need to check that the replacement heater is (a) the correct thread size, (b) the correct voltage and (c) the correct wattage.

elias

• Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: March 13 2023, 05:27 »
Hi , in the picture is marked . Even if it doesn’t come with one you can purchase from a plumbing /water heater  store , is made from magnesium I think (you can find similar in the household calorifers )

Ailatan

• Able Seaman
« Reply #3 on: March 13 2023, 09:16 »
I know that the heating element from SVB has the anode but I think that mine didn't have one. Unless it has dissolved. I am attaching a picture of the heating element just after removing.
Also the shape of both element is different so I am scare that it doesn't fit the thermostat.

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: March 13 2023, 10:20 »
The anode is part of the element

Ailatan

• Able Seaman
« Reply #5 on: March 13 2023, 13:06 »
I've found one in AliExpress which is quite similar to the original and also without anode.
The problem is that I can't find a cylindrical anode like the SVB element

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
« Reply #7 on: March 13 2023, 17:41 »
Most calorifiers don't have anodes.

Ailatan

• Able Seaman
« Reply #8 on: March 13 2023, 21:45 »
It's true that's easy to find sticks anode in any local plumbing store but those anodes are designed to be screwed onto the heater element or somewhere else inside the calorifier.
My heater element was not prepared for that kind of anode nor the one I found in AliExpress.
Maybe as Tiger79 says 20 years ago those calorifiers didn't have anodes, but it's true that nowadays some of them have anodes.

elias

• Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: March 14 2023, 05:44 »
I have the same heater and boat , I remember clearly that the old element had one . I changed 2 years ago element and anode by replacing the element with a smaller around 300watts and putting also a new anode , the old one was almost gone , meaning it works protecting something

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
« Reply #10 on: March 14 2023, 12:03 »

Maybe as Tiger79 says 20 years ago those calorifiers didn't have anodes, but it's true that nowadays they all have anodes.
[/b]

It's not true!  The best-selling Surecal and Isotherm calorifiers don't have anodes.

Ailatan

• Able Seaman
« Reply #11 on: March 15 2023, 06:37 »
Dear Tiger79,
Thanks for all your comments which are always very welcome. I do not want to argue about whether there are more brands with anode or not, in any case I will edit my post which, obviously, was wrong.
Dear Elias,
I am very curious because, as you have seen in the picture, mine didn't have anode. So I have used an endoscope camera and I have found an O ring and also some material at the bottom which I will try to vacuum. Probably the anode was dissolved.

elias

• Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: March 16 2023, 21:32 »
Hi , the gasket might dropped by a previous attempt in the past . If yours was in place then it should be from that . The debris looks normal to me , I had some too , it might be from calcifications of metals .

Ailatan

• Able Seaman
« Reply #13 on: May 14 2023, 22:49 »
Just a few lines to explain the end of the story.
I bought this heater element https://reporshop.com/es/stock-permanente/105879-resistencia-termo-electrico-vaina-cobre-rosca-1-1-4-1000w-220v-standard.html
It was supposed that in that shop they had the 800w element but finally it wasn't in stock and they sent me the 1000w version. No problem because there is room for this one which is only a little bit larger.
I also bought this anode https://reporshop.com/es/stock-permanente/102938-anodo-magnesio-termo-electrico-m8x10-d20x440.html
which it was a too long and I needed to cut the excess.
I sent an e mail to one of the companies that sells calorifiers without anode and they explained me that some brands make the tank in copper and therefore that kind of calorifier doesn't need anode.
I think that may be the QL is made out of copper and that is why the owners manual doesn't mention the anode.
Yo can find the heating element in AliExpress. Only need to know that the thread is 1 1/4"
I also isolated the hot water pipes, install a thermostatic valve and disassembled the Whale accessories and put some silicone grease in the O rings and at the end of the pipes

Jeffatoms

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Ocean 38
  • Boat Year: 1998
« Reply #14 on: May 20 2023, 18:35 »
My wife and I make marine water heaters/calorifiers as a means to enjoy out Bavaria 38 Ocean.  Our company is called Torrid Marine and is based in Washington State. Though our market is generally larger boats, we have experience with all sizes of boats and marine fresh water systems

Wear and tear, including internal corrosion is a result of a few factors including: Amount of use/non-use.  Flow through the water hearer (including bigger boats that rely on constant circulation), source water pH levels, water treatment and regular inspection and maintenance.  As a rule we use at least one inch of magnesium anode per gallon of calorifier capacity.  Their use is not an option in my opinion.

Our marine water heaters are designed to last a long life, if properly inspected and maintained.  We believe it is easier and much less expensive to take care of it than to have to replace it every couple years. We regularly have folks call us to ask if something is wrong as their water heater is still running trouble free after 30 plus years.  Mileage will vary.

Knowledge  and preventative maintenance, plus having the right spare parts when you need them are key to a long lasting, reliable arine water heater.  We recommend that the water heater be drained in the boat is going to be laid up for the off season.  If the boat is in use year-round, we recommend that the water heater be shut off from electrical source and drained after a day of cool-down.  If it is newer (within 2 years from installation) when convenient,  the unit should be emptied and the anode(s) removed and inspected for depletion.  If more than 50 percent of the magnesium is missing or the extrusion rod is visible anywhere on the anodes, they should be replaced. The best case scenario is this happens annually.  Generally it does not.

If you are unaware of the last time an inspection/replacement has occurred, assume it has not been done in the past.  We recommend the same shut-down, cool-down drain followed by a visual interior inspection using the electrical element port as access into the inner pressure vessel. This port is preferable as it has a simple o-ring seal and can be refitted without the use of sealant.  If there is extensive/unknown  corrosion the risk of catastrophic damage is much lower using this as a entry/viewing portal (i.e. all the rest risk that you might unknowingly break a corrosion seal and cause a major, generally irreparable leak).  Inspection is easiest with a lighted flexible endoscopic-like probe with which you can have a good look around on the inside.

It is important to note that desalination or reverse osmosis by its very nature produces very reactive water.  Fresh water will seek out remineralization if it has been produced onboard as the pH will generally be below neutral or slightly acidic.  Some boats add calcium carbonite fitration as a rebuffer to reduce the corrosive properties of RO Water.

Finally, cool water is less reactive than hot water.  If the boat isn't being used, there is little sense to heat the water unless there is a risk of freezing.

Hope this helps.