Author Topic: Solar batteries v Additional Battery/Alternator.  (Read 3012 times)

nornie lees

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 30 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
Solar batteries v Additional Battery/Alternator.
« on: September 23 2013, 19:20 »
Hi All, went to the BOAT show last week and priced up 120w of solar panels plus various bits to make the whole thing work and enable me to monitor power generated. In round figures not a lot of change from £1k.

Im thinking for a lot less i could add another 140amh battery, and an upgraded Alternator. That would give me 420amh total domestic (i know thats not the realistic usable) plus my 70amh starter battery.

Question is is this a realistic solution for 3-4 sailing and days/nights on the anchor away from mains power. I do like to keep the beer cool, auto pilot, plotter on nearly all the time i sail, as mostly sailed single handed.

useful comments only please,

Ray
BAV 37.

Sweet As

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2004
Re: Solar batteries v Additional Battery/Alternator.
« Reply #1 on: September 23 2013, 20:03 »
For the cruising you're doing, you're proposed pathway should work well. I do similar length voyages and survive ok with 300 Ahrs of AGM house batteries and the standard alternator on the MD2030. The two additions I have made are a 'smart regulator' and a battery monitor. The smart regulator ensures that when the engine is running battery charge rate is optimised and the monitor is great for keeping an eye on the supply and demand side of the system.

The demand side is as important as the supply.The fridge is the thirsty bit of gear. There are some good tips on this forum about how to reduce fridge power consumption. Additional insulation (particularly the top) and increased air flow through the compressor radiator are musts.
Sweet As
Bav 36

geoff

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: 40 ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #2 on: September 24 2013, 09:52 »
I have 60W of solar , smart regulator ,and 450amp of domestic..Cost a lot less than 1K and makes me independent of ground power.Geoff

nornie lees

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 30 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
« Reply #3 on: September 24 2013, 20:37 »
Seems you both have the right idea, lots of battery 400plus amph domestic. thanks for the comments so far. Seems im barking up the right tree.

Thanks Ray