Author Topic: Cables color coding. Bavaria 39 Cruiser  (Read 1324 times)

marp

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
Cables color coding. Bavaria 39 Cruiser
« on: May 09 2023, 21:47 »
Hi, I've recently bought Bavaria 39 Cruiser, now fixing some issues with her, I like things on boat to be simple, in my case wiring on 301 panel and whole electric system is a mess (btw it's oryginal). Im planning to rewire whole DC system for now,Could You help me with clarification on cable color coding (or standard) that Bavaria is using? I see all colors of the rainbow on the panel now  :o? Boat is from 2007.

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: Cables color coding. Bavaria 39 Cruiser
« Reply #1 on: May 09 2023, 22:28 »
Welcome to the forum.

Don't think there is any specific colour coding. If it is original, not sure why you would want to rewire it if everything is working. It may look a "mess" but it is very simple and straightforward. The wiring loom is fitted into the boat as it is built rather than run in afterwards so a massive job to replace it.

Electrics rarely give problems on Bavarias. Have a look at the breakdown survey at the top of this page and you will see electrics apart from corrosion in some wires rarely gets a mention. I have had 2 Bavarias, the first for 14 years with half of that as a charter boat and while there were electrical problems with individual items like pumps and lights no problems with the core wiring and fusing systems.

JEN-et-ROSS

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Lagoon
  • Boat Year: 1990
« Reply #2 on: May 10 2023, 08:35 »
Hi marp....
 I totally agree with symphony2, the wiring looms and associated ducting are all installed prior to the deck structure being lowered onto the hull..
trying to rewire the boat with the deck insitu would be an expensive and frustrating nightmare, the results of which would unlikely be as reliable as it is at present....
Our B38 is an older model but the wiring is original and yes, behind the panel looks like spaghetti but it's easy to follow and all wiring and soldered connections were coated with a protective 'resin' of sorts that has stood the test of time..
I just repair any issues that arise, like some of the panel switches became unreliable so I replaced them.. (CPC Farnell sell them in the UK)
Good luck with your new B39............Bill.

marp

• Cadet
« Reply #3 on: May 13 2023, 09:35 »
Hi, I've checked the wires and they indeed look ok, so I think i follow Your advice not to change them, nevertheless I will change the panel 301 as i prefer to have simple solution there so fuse box and switches + display to monitor fluid levels and battery charge, not over complicated panel with messy layout and a lot of electronics on it...

symphony2

• Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: May 13 2023, 16:00 »
Don't think you will find that very practical. i believe the panel operates relays and the fuses are on the circuit board. This is very different from a conventional fused switch panel. it works so best leave it alone.

JEN-et-ROSS

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Lagoon
  • Boat Year: 1990
« Reply #5 on: May 13 2023, 16:50 »
Don't think you will find that very practical. i believe the panel operates relays and the fuses are on the circuit board. This is very different from a conventional fused switch panel. it works so best leave it alone.
Again I must agree....
  This is a great example of the 'mantra' that states.. ""If it ain't bust, don't fix it""...... Bill.

marp

• Cadet
« Reply #6 on: May 13 2023, 17:53 »
The thing is that is not fully working...  i.e. if water alarm on front tank goes on yuo cannot turn it off until refilled, "panel" button is not working panel is lighting up after pushing any other button and stays on for some time, few buttons are are rewired by previous owner - don't know reason... etc, so spending 1.3k EUR for same panel that does take away flexibility of adding easly more DC loads is not acceptable for me.

symphony2

• Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: May 14 2023, 00:48 »
OK appreciate you have to do something about it not working properly, but would suggest anything apart from a direct replacement is a major job for a qualified electrician and is likely to cost substantially more than a straight replacement for little or no gain. Good traditional fused switch panels with that number of circuits will cost nearly as much as and the fuses are already there on the circuit board. If you are just trying to replace the switches, level gauges, mimic and voltmeters that are on the panel it would have to be custom made and that is likely to cost far more than a replacement panel. I have just completely rewired a boat (not a Bavaria) and much simpler with only 16 circuits plus mimic and quotes I had for a custom made panel were around £1000. Standard panels with all the features you need cost close to a replacement 301 and probably need adapting to fit with the existing system. Not sure what else you would want to add to the domestic side that would need an additional distribution panel, but it would not be too difficult to take another feed off the domestic bus bars to a standard distribution panel from a firm like Blue Sea.

Sorry to sound so negative. I had a 2015 boat with a 301 panel and always worried about it, but fortunately in the 6 years I had it there were no problems. However if it had given trouble I would have simply replaced it like for like. While it sounds like a lot of money, it is not in relation to the value of the boat nor in relation to the cost of similar panels from other sources.