Author Topic: Bavaria 44 (2003) Rudder bearing  (Read 3807 times)

Ailatan

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44
  • Boat Year: 2003
Bavaria 44 (2003) Rudder bearing
« on: January 11 2023, 06:42 »
Dear All,
I am thinking on all the things I need to check the next time I haul the boat and servicing the bearings of the rudder is in that list, but before that date I would like to find some information.
I read the owners manual but no reference about this issue and in the web I found that Bavaria used to mount two brands of bearings to the boats of that age depending on the size but I don't know the brand used in the 44 model.
Does anyone have that information?
Thanks

SYJetzt

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 46
  • Boat Year: 2005
Re: Bavaria 44 (2003) Rudder bearing
« Reply #1 on: January 11 2023, 07:28 »
Usually the rudder bearings are free of maintenance. If they aren't going stiff (have too much friction), there is no need for a service.

Unfortunately Bavaria changed the rudder sections several times, so there is no other way than dismantling the rudder and take exact measurements of the needed parts (inner and outer diameter of both bearings).
So every turning shop can produce this parts or you can source the parts at Jefa rudder, which can provide roller bearings instead of the original sliding bearings, which are much more precise and have lower friction. 

elias

• Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: January 11 2023, 09:01 »
Hi , changed both some years ago.
I emailed Jeff and send them the built number , they provided me 2 new (up and low) , very nice looking comparing to some other tailor made that I be seen around . Very good communication and fast shipping

Ailatan

• Able Seaman
« Reply #3 on: January 11 2023, 13:23 »
Thanks for your answers.
I understand from your comments that the bearing brand is Jeffa and not JP3 which is the other alternative.

kavok

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 40 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2008
« Reply #4 on: January 11 2023, 20:18 »
Thanks for your answers.
I understand from your comments that the bearing brand is Jeffa and not JP3 which is the other alternative.
Jp3 is not still working. Jefa produce new parts for all Bavaria models. If you dismantle  rudder and change the two roller bearing, it will be  appropriate  change also the lower bearing house, that is now build in sintetic instead the old aluminium rudder house that soffer corrosion.

SYJetzt

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: January 12 2023, 07:29 »
If you don't want to go with "Jefa", you can make new bearings from "scratch" by producing them in a turning shop. The material is "Delrin", or also called "POM" or Polyacetal. The only measurement you need to take is the outer (ball) diameter and inner (drill) diameter of both bearings. You can get these diameters after dismantling your rudder fromthe original parts.

kavok

• Able Seaman
« Reply #6 on: January 12 2023, 17:04 »
If you don't want to go with "Jefa", you can make new bearings from "scratch" by producing them in a turning shop. The material is "Delrin", or also called "POM" or Polyacetal. The only measurement you need to take is the outer (ball) diameter and inner (drill) diameter of both bearings. You can get these diameters after dismantling your rudder fromthe original parts.
I think you are doing a mistake.
The bearings ar made with a part of , as you say, Pom, but also from a lot of rollers cylinder in black plastic.
It is impossibile and no economics rebuilt this part as custum made.
Jefa has it ready to install and of the right material.

SYJetzt

• Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: January 13 2023, 07:28 »
I think you are doing a mistake.
The bearings ar made with a part of , as you say, Pom, but also from a lot of rollers cylinder in black plastic.
It is impossibile and no economics rebuilt this part as custum made.
Jefa has it ready to install and of the right material.
You are right, the "Jefa" bearings have roller cylinders in in, and are the far more better products, and not easily to produce, but the original bearings (fitted by Bavaria) don't have these rollers in it, are  simpler, and easy to produce.

kavok

• Able Seaman
« Reply #8 on: January 13 2023, 16:58 »
On my 40 Cruiser my 2008 I found plain up d roller down.
Chang
ed both with new Jefa roller.
I think also they use better plastic  than Jp3 for the white part of the bearings to avoid the rudder became strong to rotante time by time.
Whith Jefa roller bearing and plastic rudder house you have a rudder better tnan new ones.

Ailatan

• Able Seaman
« Reply #9 on: January 15 2023, 16:41 »
In this page: https://jefa.com/ftp/old_boat_spare_parts/Bavaria/
You can find the reference for all the Jeffa products for our Bavarias and also the new lower double bearing.
Does anyone know how expensive is the double bearing as compared with the old model?
Of course it will depend on the size of the boat but just to have an idea

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #10 on: January 15 2023, 17:58 »
In this page: https://jefa.com/ftp/old_boat_spare_parts/Bavaria/
You can find the reference for all the Jeffa products for our Bavarias and also the new lower double bearing.
Does anyone know how expensive is the double bearing as compared with the old model?
Of course it will depend on the size of the boat but just to have an idea

Don't rely on this! I fell for this and ordered a bearing for the 64mm rudder post from the plans published by Jefa. Turns out our rudder post is exactly 63mm instead, so that didn't fit. The only way to know for sure and avoid having to postpone your launch and pay an expensive travelift booking is to drop the rudder and measure the actual one you have before ordering.

Our lower bearing ball with rollers was 161 EUR plus 25% Danish VAT plus DHL express shipping back in 2015.

The Jefa roller bearing is really smooth and after lubricating the rest of the system, you can still turn the wheel with a pinky finger and it's been without any problems after 7 years.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Ailatan

• Able Seaman
« Reply #11 on: January 16 2023, 08:50 »
Thanks Yngmar, good to know.
I was trying to save the extra cost of having the boat more days ashore.
Can't we measure the diameter of the rudder post without removing the rudder?

Yngmar

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 16 2023, 10:58 »
Yes, to measure you merely need to lower it a few centimeters, not pull it out entirely. But it's almost the same work, apart from lifting the boat high up to extract the entire post :)

MagicalArmchair

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #13 on: January 26 2023, 20:45 »
I finally managed to put my write up of my own bearing adventure into a post. I thought about doing it in a single day, I'm glad I gave myself a couple of days to do it all though as its quite a meaty job!

http://www.sailingmirage.uk/blog/seizing-up-rudder-on-passage-how-to-replace-your-rudder-bearings/

Hope that helps.

Yngmar

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 27 2023, 00:57 »
Excellent write-up and photos, thanks for sharing!

MagicalArmchair

• Old Salt
« Reply #15 on: January 27 2023, 12:46 »
All mostly thanks to your expert guidance on my own massive rudder bearing thread of doom.  :kewl Thanks again Yng! 

Ailatan

• Able Seaman
« Reply #16 on: January 27 2023, 14:46 »
Thanks for sharing!
A couple of questions:
When you asked Jeffa for the bearings what information did they ask you, because at that time you didn't know the diameter of the rudder stock.
Also, I don't have an idea of how heavy the rudder can be, so do you think it is possible for two persons to lift the rudder without the help of any lifting mechanism?

elias

• Old Salt
« Reply #17 on: January 27 2023, 21:12 »
Hi ,
In my case I send them the build number of the boat and they found it .
I believe is around 80kg since it needed two persons .
About lifting and lowering . I made a simple
Mechanism to lift and lower by myself . I ll try later to find pics

MagicalArmchair

• Old Salt
« Reply #18 on: January 28 2023, 13:14 »
Thanks for sharing!
A couple of questions:
When you asked Jeffa for the bearings what information did they ask you, because at that time you didn't know the diameter of the rudder stock.
Also, I don't have an idea of how heavy the rudder can be, so do you think it is possible for two persons to lift the rudder without the help of any lifting mechanism?

Jeffa are supremely helpful and if you give them the year of the boat and the hull ID number, they will find it for you. Also our local Bavaria agent gave us the details (Clipper), who were lovely. What year and type of Bavaria do you have?

Yngmar has a stainless stock, so his would be heavier than mine, mine has an aluminium stock (which I think is more common on Bavs) so is lighter. Two people can manage the weight, it is more how awkward the weight is as all the weight is at the top.

Be careful when you extract the rudder and make sure you have a secure support frame around the rudder when you drop it (I nearly murdered Bob with my rudder when it finally came free :o)). Getting the rudder back in is more of a challenge of lining the whole thing up in three dimensions (hence having some kind of rope on the top of the stock will help). It's a bit like threading a heavy thread through the needle of your boat.

Ailatan

• Able Seaman
« Reply #19 on: January 28 2023, 21:45 »
Thanks for your answers.
I pretend to lift the boat during the summer and remove all antifouling also, if I had time, I would like to check the rudder bearings because they are perfect at the moment but the situation can change like it happened to MagicalArmchair.
My boat was built in 2002 but I need to check

MagicalArmchair

• Old Salt
« Reply #20 on: January 29 2023, 16:07 »
So long as you make sure there is no copper based antifouling within 20mm of the rudder tube you should never suffer the same fate. What Jeffa suggest is that when you lift out blast the bearings immediately with the pressure washer to clear out any sea creatures before they dry out and to rinse any salt before it crystallises. The recommendation to drop the rudder every three years to inspect the bearings feels like overkill if you properly maintain then

allendick

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 50 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
« Reply #21 on: February 09 2023, 13:14 »
If the supports are sound and the bearings are the sleeve type and have become tight, I have heard of simply honing or sanding them to increase clearance.

2006Bavaria42

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria42
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #22 on: May 31 2023, 02:43 »
Thanks for all the input regarding replacing the Bavaria Slopes rudder bearings   I'm in the same situation with BAVC42V9L405....     I ordered the wrong lower rudder bearing from SVB24.
It's difficult to get a straight answer from Bavaria Sales or the boat yard handling the job... Looks like I'm reaching out to JEFA tomorrow.  Wish Luck or help me if you know what to do.....

kavok

• Able Seaman
« Reply #23 on: June 02 2023, 17:03 »
Give them cin number of yuour boat.
If you have, diameter of rudder shaft,and inside diameter of aluminium rudder bearing house.