Member Forums > Bavaria Yacht Help!

Autopilot not working, no GPS position - general suspects?

<< < (2/2)

Krumelur:
I found the GPS antenna. It's hidden behind the locker in the nav area. The GPS antenna is connected to a SeaTalk-5 connector. If I disconnect it there, the screen that showed 2 devices preventing orchestration will then only show one. If I disconnect another one (black-blue, the cockpit instruments I suppose), the auto detection of devices will succeed. It will then find the internal GPS as only source (obviously, as the external one is disconnected).
If I try to find any other sources for wind, depth, speed they will come back empty. Which brings us back to the mast work, because those sensors are "behind" the mast.

IslandAlchemy:
Seatalk NG issue. Check all the cables and connectors.

SYJetzt:
I suspect your seatalk NG network has an extension to the mast to connect your wind sensors....
The Seatalk NG backbone needs end terminators (2 pcs., one at each end of the cable).
If this terminators are missing, you will see problems like you mentioned....
For wind sensors some raymarine instruments have the termination included in the sensor.
I assume, the seatalk NG backbone connection to your wind sensor has been disconnected, causing this erratic issues, maybe on all systems connected to the N2k backbone (and not only from the mast instruments..).
Check  the mast connections with diligence...

Krumelur:
Thanks for all the input. Learned something new again: SeaTalk and SeaTalkNg :-)
In the end, I think I found the issue. Checking all connectors thoroughly was key to success.
The connector of the p70 is not in best shape. Slightly moving it would power down the device. After I disconnected it, the external GPS antenna worked again and depth, wind, speed are reported correctly.
I gave the connector a bit of WD40 and let it soak in as there was some visible corrosion going on with the pins.
Now it's reconnected and things are working. I think I'll replace the p70 with a newer version. The keypad on this one is done anyway.

Awesome forum!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version