Member Forums > Bavaria Yacht Help!

Recaulking cockpit

<< < (2/3) > >>

Yngmar:
Uhm, so that makes TDS-SIS (36 EUR for ~600ml) cheaper than Sika + Primer (40 EUR for ~600ml), right? ;D

If you can get the loose plank off intact it should be fine and easy to glue back in as it'll be a perfect fit already! Make sure you generously mask off the sides as the squeeze out can be considerable.

marioxp:

--- Quote from: Yngmar on November 29 2022, 12:48 ---Uhm, so that makes TDS-SIS (36 EUR for ~600ml) cheaper than Sika + Primer (40 EUR for ~600ml), right? ;D
--- End quote ---
YES, I need 4-5 pack of caulking compound and 1 primer.

--- Quote from: Yngmar on November 29 2022, 12:48 ---Make sure you generously mask off the sides as the squeeze out can be considerable.

--- End quote ---
Did you mean plank sides? So that the caulking compound can be bind for the sides of the boards, both the one plank I remove and the two panks that remain in place?

tiger79:

--- Quote from: marioxp on November 29 2022, 13:15 ---
YES, I need 4-5 pack of caulking compound and 1 primer.

--- End quote ---

The primer goes a long way, so you'll probably only need one bottle, on which basis Sikaflex will be cheaper for you.  I've used 290DC and primer, and it works OK.

Be sure to have a cardboard box handy to put the masking tape in as you take each piece off.  Put a brick or stone in the bottom of the box to stop it blowing away (don't ask how I discovered this!).

marioxp:

[/quote]
Be sure to have a cardboard box handy to put the masking tape in as you take each piece off.  Put a brick or stone in the bottom of the box to stop it blowing away (don't ask how I discovered this!).
[/quote] :)    I calculated that there would be about 70m of masking tape.

Has anyone tried removing the old caulk without oscillating tool, with some basic tool? It seems to me that this part removal of the old caulk will be the hardest part of the job.
Application of caulk should not be much of a problem, maybe my hand will hurt from squeezing the gun, but this should not be a science.

Has anyone used this part?
https://yachtcentershop.com/proizvod/tds-aplikator-za-fuge/

SYJetzt:

--- Quote ---Has anyone tried removing the old caulk without oscillating tool, with some basic tool? It seems to me that this part removal of the old caulk will be the hardest part of the job.
--- End quote ---
Depends how many meters of caulk you need to remove. I removed the whole cockpit floor area and tried a sharpened screwdriver first, but after fiddling on the first two meters i bought the caulking knife, which left my aching back and knees intact....
It took approx. 2 hours of cutting and sanding for the whole area, which wasn't really good accessible around the cockpit table. With the cutting knife you are able to cut along the wooden flanks, so there will be not much rubber remaining for sanding. The most time consuming task was perfectly masking all the wooden areas.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version