Member Forums > Bavaria Yacht Help!

Recaulking cockpit

<< < (3/3)

SYJetzt:

--- Quote ---Be sure to have a cardboard box handy to put the masking tape in as you take each piece off.  Put a brick or stone in the bottom of the box to stop it blowing away (don't ask how I discovered this!).

--- End quote ---
;D
I agree with tiger79. The caulk creates a real mess if the tape is blown around...

tiger79:

--- Quote from: marioxp on November 29 2022, 15:42 ---
Has anyone tried removing the old caulk without oscillating tool, with some basic tool? It seems to me that this part removal of the old caulk will be the hardest part of the job.
Application of caulk should not be much of a problem, maybe my hand will hurt from squeezing the gun, but this should not be a science.

Has anyone used this part?
https://yachtcentershop.com/proizvod/tds-aplikator-za-fuge/

--- End quote ---

When I renovated the teak deck on my old Hallberg-Rassy, a lot of the caulking was loose and just pulled out.  I removed stubborn bits with a knife and a small screwdriver.

The applicator tool you linked to looks useful.  Note the direction in which it should be used.

tiger79:

--- Quote from: SYJetzt on November 29 2022, 16:42 ---
 ;D
I agree with tiger79. The caulk creates a real mess if the tape is blown around...

--- End quote ---

It also helps to wear disposable covers on your shoes.  Despite taking care, you WILL tread on wet caulking at some point.  Disposable shoe covers can just be removed and thrown away, minimising the risk of treading caulk marks everywhere.

SYJetzt:

--- Quote ---Despite taking care, you WILL tread on wet caulking at some point.
--- End quote ---
Agree once again...

I didn't tread on the wet caulk, but my first mate did an diligent inspection of my previous work..... ::)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version