Member Forums > Bavaria Yacht Help!

Saildrive Ring Anode - VP MS25S saildrive

(1/2) > >>

Bubble32:
Just tried to buy a new VP zinc anode today, part number 876286, but was told that Volvo have stopped producing the zinc version and now only make an aluminium one. I know there are pattern zinc ones available but I have always fitted the genuine article.

My Bavaria 32 is kept afloat most of the year, except for a month or so, in salt water at Fleetwood Marina. As far as I know the MS25S sail drive is aluminium. I am very anxious to avoid a costly mistake so can anyone advise whether it would be best for me to get the new Volvo aluminium anode or try to find a zinc one.

Thanks.

tiger79:
876286 is still showing as in stock at some VP dealers.  Try Volspec.  Alternatively, an aftermarket zinc anode will work fine (and be a bit cheaper).

diverphil:
this is also what I found when looking for one to fit a rope cutter for a s130 drive, I managed to get one standard and machined the same the spare I had. if you do change to alloy as that appears to be vp choice now, I would suggest changing any other anodes you have fitted to the same material.

symphony2:
There is nothing wrong with the aluminium anodes that Volvo now specify. Do you seriously think that they would specify a product that did not work? particularly given the  importance of protecting the saildrive housing? It is not pure aluminium but an aluminium based alloy that is close on the galvanic scale to the zinc based alloys previously used   

JEN-et-ROSS:

--- Quote from: symphony2 on November 22 2022, 19:24 ---There is nothing wrong with the aluminium anodes that Volvo now specify. Do you seriously think that they would specify a product that did not work? particularly given the  importance of protecting the saildrive housing? It is not pure aluminium but an aluminium based alloy that is close on the galvanic scale to the zinc based alloys previously used   

--- End quote ---
To be honest I was not aware of the change to Aluminium alloy by VP..
Does Symphony or anyone know why VP made this change and in what respect is Al. alloy better than a Zn. based anode......
My basic school chemistry can understand the use of  Zn. anodes but it seems counterintuitive to protect Al. alloy with an Al. alloy anode....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version