Author Topic: Saildrive Ring Anode - VP MS25S saildrive  (Read 1673 times)

Bubble32

• Cadet
Saildrive Ring Anode - VP MS25S saildrive
« on: November 22 2022, 14:21 »
Just tried to buy a new VP zinc anode today, part number 876286, but was told that Volvo have stopped producing the zinc version and now only make an aluminium one. I know there are pattern zinc ones available but I have always fitted the genuine article.

My Bavaria 32 is kept afloat most of the year, except for a month or so, in salt water at Fleetwood Marina. As far as I know the MS25S sail drive is aluminium. I am very anxious to avoid a costly mistake so can anyone advise whether it would be best for me to get the new Volvo aluminium anode or try to find a zinc one.

Thanks.

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
Re: Saildrive Ring Anode - VP MS25S saildrive
« Reply #1 on: November 22 2022, 15:06 »
876286 is still showing as in stock at some VP dealers.  Try Volspec.  Alternatively, an aftermarket zinc anode will work fine (and be a bit cheaper).

diverphil

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 33 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #2 on: November 22 2022, 17:11 »
this is also what I found when looking for one to fit a rope cutter for a s130 drive, I managed to get one standard and machined the same the spare I had. if you do change to alloy as that appears to be vp choice now, I would suggest changing any other anodes you have fitted to the same material.

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #3 on: November 22 2022, 19:24 »
There is nothing wrong with the aluminium anodes that Volvo now specify. Do you seriously think that they would specify a product that did not work? particularly given the  importance of protecting the saildrive housing? It is not pure aluminium but an aluminium based alloy that is close on the galvanic scale to the zinc based alloys previously used   

JEN-et-ROSS

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Lagoon
  • Boat Year: 1990
« Reply #4 on: November 23 2022, 08:32 »
There is nothing wrong with the aluminium anodes that Volvo now specify. Do you seriously think that they would specify a product that did not work? particularly given the  importance of protecting the saildrive housing? It is not pure aluminium but an aluminium based alloy that is close on the galvanic scale to the zinc based alloys previously used   
To be honest I was not aware of the change to Aluminium alloy by VP..
Does Symphony or anyone know why VP made this change and in what respect is Al. alloy better than a Zn. based anode......
My basic school chemistry can understand the use of  Zn. anodes but it seems counterintuitive to protect Al. alloy with an Al. alloy anode....

symphony2

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: November 23 2022, 09:53 »
This anodeoutlet.co.uk/blogs/anode-help-centre/aluminium-versus-zinc-anodes/ gives a reasonable explanation.

Aluminium based anodes have been used for some time on Mercruiser and Volvo outdrives which also have aluminium housings for some time, partly because in the US which is the major market brackish water is common and aluminium is more tolerant of this.

diverphil

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 33 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #6 on: November 23 2022, 11:56 »
as symphony2 posted, alloy is what vp are now using, i went to the trouble of sourcing and turning it down as I already had a spare and a spare zinc one for keel, when I've used these then I will change over to alloy. as they are around £80 for the machined ones it made sense to use what I had already.

symphony2

• Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: November 23 2022, 16:53 »
not sure why you would want an anode on the keel. It is cast iron so no chance of galvanic corrosion. It may waste a bit because the iron is not totally pure, but any corrosion of the keel itself will be simple rust and the anode won't stop that. Suggest you remove it and seal the hole well with eopxy. I have just done this on the sheet steel bilge plates on my current boat as again the anofes do nothing.

Older Bavarias don't need any anodes apart from the saildrive and folding/feathering prop and bow thruster if fitted. Post 2012 boats do however have a small additional hull anode, but this is a ground for the 240v system which became compulsory under the RCD that year. Not retrospective though. 

Bubble32

• Cadet
« Reply #8 on: November 24 2022, 17:14 »
Thanks for all the responses. I get the point that VP wouldn’t change from zinc to anything if the anything didn’t work. However, on my 2003 B32:
1. There are zinc anodes on the Bruntons prop & I have a few years’ worth of spares. Bearing in mind some of the responses above, I am not sure it would be a good idea to have zinc on the prop & (something else) on the saildrive.
2. Also, there is a secondary anode for the saildrive. I have no idea whether or not this does very much but the original paperwork with the boat suggests that it was an option when fitting out the new boat. I replaced this earlier on the year (https://yachtbubble.com/2022/03/15/first-coat-now-on-and-a-long-term-concern-resolved-tuesday-15-march-2022/). It is connected to the aft-facing gearbox cover on the saildrive. I can’t undo the bolt (one of the 4 on the cover) that grips the ring connector from the external anode.

symphony2

• Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: November 24 2022, 18:55 »
There is no connection between the anode on the prop and the one on the saildrive housing. The 2 are electrically isolated. It would make absolutely no difference if one was zinc and the other aluminium. The other will likely not do anything until the main one on the housing is completely gone. The nature of galvanic action is between the cathode and the anode with seawater as the electrolyte and the anode closest will waste first.