Member Forums > Modifications & Equipment

Traveler Replacement

(1/4) > >>

Jake:
Hello,

Has anyone replaced their original Rutgerson traveler?  I'm tired of having to muscle my old one around.  I am planning on using a Harken system.  Since the traveler is only attached on the ends, how many fasteners are holding it on and how do they attach?  I looked inside and can only see the inner fiberglass liner under the traveler.  I expected it to be thru-bolted.  Is the traveler bolted into a captive aluminum plate like the winches?  I'd like to know because it make a difference on which Harken track that I select.  Obviously it needs to be the high load track because it spans the companionway.  Does anyone have any experiences that they could relate?

Thanks,

Jake
2004 Bav 44

Jussi:
Hi,

When you remove the end pieces, there are two M8 (or M6, I can't remember) screws below that on both ends. Bavarian way is that there is metal plate, most likely aluminum, laminated into the roof and there are threads where the screws are bolted into.

And since it is quite old boat and you have aluminum and stainless steel, the screws are most likely corroded quite tightly. Mine didn't come cleanly off and I had to use quite wide arsenal of tools to get job done.

Good luck with that.

Jussi

Jeffatoms:
This thread is very timely; thank you!  We are currently traveling home from four weeks on tge hard in the yard. Our visit was mostly a bottom paint job but also to determine and repair prop cavitation issue. 

All is well and onto the task of replacing traveller and blocks and windlass.  We have slowly been replacing Rutgerson with Garhauer and we have been pleased.  Garhauer Wil design and build a custom assembly as they did last year for a boat neighbor preparing for a Pacific Ocean passage on his Westsail 32.  Price was right, support and performance were excellent.

elias:
For the record , during a delivery from the factory of a brand new 2022 boat( I m not sharing the brand but it wasn’t bavaria ) , friends of mine after a jibe on 20knots of wind , had their traveller dismantled. It was screwed directly on the grp without backing plates …

Laysula:
My traveller on my 350, which has a soft headlining, is bolted through the fibreglass with nuts and backing plates on the inside.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version