Author Topic: Converting from slab reefing to in mast /inboom  (Read 2382 times)

Goboatingnow

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2003
Converting from slab reefing to in mast /inboom
« on: October 06 2022, 13:35 »
Has anyone converted a 2004 bav36 cruiser to in mast. Maybe it’s cheaper to buy a new mast ? , conversion options etc. I’m facing new standing rigging and new mainsail anyway next year.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Converting from slab reefing to in mast /inboom
« Reply #1 on: October 06 2022, 13:43 »
You have to buy a new mast to get in-mast furling, the slab reefing mast cannot be converted as it doesn't have the right profile or slot to fit a sail inside it. A new mast is however extremely expensive, not to mention all the other bits you'll need.

There are or were some aftermarket kits that bolt a section to the mast, getting you on-mast furling, but on-mast furling is rightfully seen as rubbish.

In-boom furling doesn't really scale down to 36 ft.

If you really want to switch, it typically makes more sense to sell the boat and buy one with in-mast furling. Unless perhaps you can find someone in a nearby harbour that would like to swap the other way on the same model boat - then you can swap the entire rig and just have to sort out the turning blocks, rope clutches and other minor bits.
(formerly) Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: October 06 2022, 16:47 »
Agree with the above. While a fan of in mast - had it on both my Bavarias it really is not viable to swap. You are looking at up to £15k for new mast, boom and hardware less what you might get for your old rig. Better to spend the money on upgrading your existing sails and sail handling hardware.

Goboatingnow

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #3 on: October 08 2022, 09:47 »
Hmm that’s disappointing , I need a wrecked Bav 36 with an intact in mast. I’ve done so many upgrades I don’t want to start again with a new boat.

Think I’ll run a three reef line system

artemis

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #4 on: October 08 2022, 11:53 »
Have you looked at boom reefing, If I could have and afford one I think that's the way I would go, I've in-mast reefing its good but if it ever jams then your in a pickle as where a boom reefing you just let it drop. Well that's my tuppence worth anyway

Mike
Artemis

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #5 on: October 08 2022, 22:09 »
While that sounds good in theory, the smaller in boom systems have just not had the development necessary to make them fool proof. The issues are around getting the sail to run up and down the track freely leading to jams. They are very critical on getting the angle of the boom to the mast and to the wind when raising, lowering or reefing. That is why you see so few in use and no major builder has adopted them as either standard or options. In the other hand in mast is pretty idiot proof as it should be after nearly 40 years' development and the "jamming" problem is vastly overrated.

Noelio Abrunhosa

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #6 on: October 31 2022, 10:49 »
was quoted 12k for new mst 5 years ago. also there is a furling system that bolts on mast that avoids issue of sail getting stuck. the one i saw was a bit heath robinson design but worked well.

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: October 31 2022, 13:39 »
Personally speaking, I just don't understand why anyone would want to do that.

You add weight into the rig, you lose power from the main, you increase the likelyhood of the main getting jammed whilst up just for starters.

The Selden single line reefing is so quick and simple to use.