Author Topic: How to replace reef lines?  (Read 1530 times)

Krumelur

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2010
How to replace reef lines?
« on: September 30 2022, 21:24 »
My Bav 40 still has the original reef lines. They are worn out and when pulling up the main, they cause lots of friction.
I wanted to replace them with 10mm Liros. Do you have recommendations?

And how to get them out? The system is from Selden and looking at the schematics it seems as if the boom needs to be disassembled to attach the lines to the sliders in the boom. Has anyone done that and can share?

And finally: what would the lengths of the lines be?

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: How to replace reef lines?
« Reply #1 on: September 30 2022, 22:25 »
This may help support.seldenmast.com/files/595-706-E.pdf

kavok

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 40 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2008
« Reply #2 on: October 01 2022, 08:39 »
I changed only the line that arrive to stopper.
More simple to do.
Dyneema 10 mm.

Krumelur

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: October 01 2022, 09:13 »
I didn’t realize there are two separate lines for each reef.
With the mast taken down, I think I would want to replace all of the lines. Maybe this is a job for the rigger.

Lazy Pelican

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #4 on: October 01 2022, 12:42 »
I replaced my reefing lines with 10mm Liros Dyneema. You need to remove the boom end casting- simply undo the screws. This gives access to the ‘cars’ which run inside the boom. It’s all relatively easy.
I spliced eyes in the end that goes around the boom and used soft shackles to attach around the boom so no more tying bowlines.
I also use soft shackles instead of st st shackles to attach the RL at the luff.

kavok

• Able Seaman
« Reply #5 on: October 01 2022, 20:18 »
I confirm two separate lines.

Domi409

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: B45
« Reply #6 on: October 02 2022, 07:35 »
Hello,
I changed mines last year (the short lines) . It is easy to do, once we understood the system.
There are 3 sliders in the boom: one on the port side of the boom for the second reef; two on starboard side, the most on the back for the main sail back point and in front of it the slider for the first reef. Line lengths need to be correct to avoid conflict between these two sliders.
Access is done by the back of the boom after removing the 3 screws. Sew the new lines to the old ones before pulling back the sliders.
For the length, it is about the length between the boom and the reef point once the sail is fully up, plus extra for the knots, when the sail is up the reef sliders are close to the mast.
The slider with the cable is for the back of the main sail.
The reef line is blocked with a knot in the slider (difficult to make, space is short).

paulemeier1

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 37.2 Cruiser
« Reply #7 on: October 02 2022, 09:05 »
Can confirm 2 lines. Have don the Job ten years ago. Used liros racer 10mm
Easy job. Just do it
But

The most imported think. Removing the sliders there are 4 rolls in. This four rolls try to spring north south west and east just in the moment you pull the slider out of the boom.
So you have the choice. Buy a spare roll before doing the job and you will not loose one, ore do Se job without spare and one minimal one of it will go diving

Lazy Pelican

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
« Reply #8 on: October 02 2022, 09:12 »
To attach the Reefing Lines to the slider I made an eye splice in the dyneema core, with cover removed. It’s very easy, just a Brummell Hitch & bury the tail.

Krumelur

• Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: October 02 2022, 09:33 »
Reading all this, I'm tempted to replace only the ones going from the cockpit through the boom and to the sail.
My concern is not that the lines are broken. It's that the ones going from the cockpit are causing so much friction that it's painful to get the main up.

Am I understanding correctly, that replacing those lines from the cockpit is just about connecting them to the existing ones and pulling them through?
I would then go ahead and replace them with blue/red Liros Dyneema ones and save the changing of the more difficult ones for later.

Those of you who replaced the lines: what about the lengths?Do you remember?

kavok

• Able Seaman
« Reply #10 on: October 02 2022, 20:08 »
Bavaria 40 Cruiser 2008
I buyed 22 and 29 meters.
But it is in relationship of reef dimension on the sail. I refer to standard Elvstrom main.