Author Topic: Jabasco manual toilet problem for info  (Read 990 times)

Petef

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
Jabasco manual toilet problem for info
« on: September 27 2022, 17:35 »
Not a request for help, but this experience may help others.

Toilet has been completely serviced and valves and O rings etc replaced 2-3 months ago.

A couple of weeks ago just before leaving the boat to go home, we did the usual toilet trip before a 2.5 hour journey home. Did our 'Wees' and then proceeded to empty and then flush the toilet. There was no flushing sea water coming through, had to flush with fresh from the heads shower. Seacocks closed and as it was late decided to leave and investigate next time on the boat.

So back at the boat, used the toilet (after 2.5 journey lol). Opened the seacocks tried the flush and lo and behold it worked!??
Just thought that maybe the inlet had been blocked last time and then over time unblocked itself.

Toilet worked well for 2 days then the sea water inlet stopped again. Surely not another blockage. As I had serviced the toilet 2-3 moths ago I thought I would check the the valves at the top of the tube. When I opened it up there was a small (1cm) dead crab propping a valve open! Removed the bits of crab and put back together. The toilet was back working.

Posted so that if you get a similar problem where the inlet seems blocked, to check that there is no detritus preventing the little valves working.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Jabasco manual toilet problem for info
« Reply #1 on: September 27 2022, 18:50 »
We've had a small fish in there once, it's neck snapped by the flushing valve at the top. Did make it all the way up in the top of the pump, but didn't quite go around the corner!

What a sad way to die, neck snapped by a toilet pump!  ;D
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Petef

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
Re: Jabasco manual toilet problem for info
« Reply #2 on: October 12 2022, 11:21 »
There must be lots of baby crabs this year in Ipswich harbour! Toilet stopped flushing again last weekend, opened it up only to find another crab stopping the valve from closing lol!