Author Topic: Selden "Furlin" In-Mast furler: Broken tack assembly  (Read 2439 times)

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
When reefing the main in moderate conditions on a crossing from Sicily to Sardinia about ten days ago, something went THWACK and a cloud of shrapnel and dust came out of the mast slot. The partially furled sail also unfurled itself a turn or two. Peeking into the mast inspection slot with the cover removed, we had broken the bottom of the furling foil, or so it seemed at the time. We somehow still managed to furl the sail up, carefully, with the winch handle on the mast, probably because the tack hook rotated it enough or the jagged break engaged in the top sufficiently, not sure, but we were happy about not having to drop the sail underway. Unfortunately the sharp bits chewed on the foot of the sail a bit, but it looks like the damage to the sail isn't serious.

After some despair and a few days of rest, we used a calm day at anchor to drop the sail and have a proper look at things. Good news was, the main part of the foil is intact, the break is below the tensioner screw. Even better, I have then managed to extract the broken parts through the inspection slots in the mast (bit like deconstructing a ship in a bottle). I'm also confident it can be reassembled that way, without having to unstep the mast (hooray). It'll be a fiddly job for sure though!

The tack assembly looks like it has been overloaded at some point and also has corroded where water pools in a place with no drain, from the inside out. Not sure in which order these events occurred, but I suspect corrosion first, overload of the weakened part later, final fracture now.

The part is 540-710-12 (TACK ASSY FLN RA HVY DTY) and is on back-order from Selden via SVB and will hopefully arrive in early July (fingers crossed). Meanwhile we've got plenty of time to experiment with sailing under Genoa only  ;D

Meanwhile I'm having a go at taking apart the broken tack assembly. If I can drive out the reinforcement insert, I can probably improvise a repair with what we have on board by extending the bottom connector. Might need to buy some monel rivets, but probably can find those in Olbia.

No help is needed (unless you happen to have this part laying around), just thought this may be of interest to some, as this system is very common on Bavarias. It is impossible to inspect for corrosion without removing the part and drilling out the rivets though. If you do have a newish one, I'd advise filling the area under the stainless bottom tensioner screw with sealant through the gap to avoid water sitting in there and corroding from the inside out.

Photos below:

Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
Re: Selden "Furlin" In-Mast furler: Broken tack assembly
« Reply #1 on: June 15 2022, 16:30 »
Ouch!  I've never heard of that mode of failure, and there must be lots of 20+ year old Selden Furling systems around.  Looks like you've got the repair method sorted though, and thanks for the photos.

Jam

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 ocean
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #2 on: June 15 2022, 22:33 »
That’s an unusual one and had me looking up the seldon parts manual to figure it out.  I will be thinking about it when I am out this wend.  I tend to worry about bits failing perhaps too much!!!
Glad you have a temporary fix and a part on the way.
Good to share and let us know how it goes
Ps ignore my private message re your deck as you have your hands full!!!
John

blue-max

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: ocean 47
« Reply #3 on: June 18 2022, 10:34 »
just wondering if contact between dissimilar metals could not have exasperated the tendency  to  corrode. Would be interested  on follow up about reinstalling after repair

Yngmar

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 18 2022, 16:28 »
Dissimilar metals and a pool of water - requires all three to form a battery. Definitely present in the exact spot it broke, as the water has nowhere to drain out and can sit about 1-2cm high in the top of the reinforced tube.

No luck with the temporary fix so far, the reinforcement is well and truly stuck in the extrusion. Oh well, it's not a bad cruising area to be stuck in and lots of anchorages in the vicinity.

reystos

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 31
« Reply #5 on: June 20 2022, 17:05 »
That is definitely a problem to look out for on 20year old masts, myself having one that looks exactly the same. Thank you for your post, it is good to know what lies ahead for us. Next time the mast is out, I am taking it apart and replacing the parts and all fishy looking rivets, too.

When I asked the rigger (who is a selden dealer) about the sorry looking state of most rivets and aluminum little bits on the mast, the reply I got was "you leave them until you have to replace them". Makes sense for him not to do any preventative maintenance, but fix after things get broken, specially with selden pricing.

Yngmar

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 28 2022, 15:57 »
Fixed! New part arrived from SVB, who did a great job sourcing it despite not being in their catalogue. DHL shipped it to a DHL Service Point in Olbia, from where I could simply pick it up with my passport.

The new tack assembly had the same little gap and water trap as the old one, so I flattened a tip of sealant and squeezed it in the gap until it ceased being a gap. Closed up the rivets below as well (they were closed on the old part but not the new). The plastic donut is a slightly different design with drain holes, but I doubt that matters much as the water could always flow past it anyways.

Putting it back in the mast was a bit fiddly, but not the worst I've ever done. I did have to remove the furling winch (four torx screws and angling out of the mast) to attach the bottom connector and then tensioned the foil per instructions (hand tight, then check with luggage scale on winch handle).

All worked well and in 1-2 days when the Mistral pipes down a bit, we can pull the sail back again. First we must celebrate with a dinner in town though ;-)

Jam

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 ocean
« Reply #7 on: June 28 2022, 19:44 »
That’s great work and I would say in record time considering where you are.  Trying to work out how you got all the bits out!!!! I find it fiddly attaching the halyard shackle never mind removing all the bit like you have done and reassembly, I think most would have thought the mast would have to come down!!!
This will be a real handy bit of info if and when it happens to one on us…gulp… with aging in mast reefing.
Thanks and well done !!!!
John
Vycon2

blue-max

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: ocean 47
« Reply #8 on: October 08 2022, 09:42 »
could you list the parts you ordered - I'm others are going to be needing them soon.......

Yngmar

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 08 2022, 19:00 »
Part number is in the top post. But that's for the 40 Ocean, the 47 Ocean would likely have a bigger mast section and parts.

elias

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #10 on: October 16 2022, 05:53 »
Well done , very very interesting post