Author Topic: companionway Ocean 47  (Read 1096 times)

blue-max

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: ocean 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
companionway Ocean 47
« on: September 15 2023, 17:06 »
I'm not happy with the companionway from cockpit to  saloon. Its very steep with 4 treads from top to saloon sole. Its also very heavy - made from thick solid hardwood planks - as it needs to be removed for front engine access. I was thinking to replace it with a lighter design at a better angle, perhaps using aluminium  rectangular section  with plywood treads and a handrail - possibly adapting a step ladder. Has anyone tried changing their companionway. Modern designs seem to  use polished stainless steel tubes as  framework for the treads but I prefer to  go with aluminium.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: companionway Ocean 47
« Reply #1 on: September 15 2023, 19:09 »
Sounds ugly! The solid wood companionway steps are a nice feature of these boats.

My preferred solution would've been to add a hinge at the top and gas lifters so it can be opened in place to access the engine bay. Not sure there is clearance for this past the table though - better check first.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

blue-max

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: ocean 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
Re: companionway Ocean 47
« Reply #2 on: September 16 2023, 16:13 »
I am not sure your idea would work as the hinges would need to take much weight. Also the bottom end when swung up would need to  be held by a fitting on the saloon head.I would be fearful about sudden descent whilst working underneath. There is also a problem with the steepness of the angle and insufficient steps. By lengthening the steps and reducing the angle with more steps it would feel safer and perhaps I could make the lower step to  serve as a seat for the saloon table