Author Topic: D1-20 alternator warning at low revs  (Read 890 times)

InDeep

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
  • Boat Year: 2003
D1-20 alternator warning at low revs
« on: September 25 2022, 15:12 »
I have a recently purchased Bavaria 32 (2003).  If I’ve remembered the engine model correctly it is a D1-20.  Engine starts easily, and all generally seems ok, but twice in the last few weeks just after starting the engine (these were both “warm” starts after having run the engine an hour or two before - but still using the glow plug).  Within a few seconds of the engine starting the alternator warning light and alarm come on.  Putting her into fast idle gets rid of the alarm, and after a couple of minutes knocking it back to tick over the alarm doesn’t come back.  When it’s happened it’s not been a convenient moment to get the multimeter out or even to pop below and check the battery voltages but generally the batteries seem to be getting charged by the engine. I do also have a charger when we are on shore power.  Engine has been started and run for perhaps a dozen other times with no issues.  Is this anything to worry about or totally normal?  The only reason I can think of that it might be happening is the instruments etc will all have been on for a few hours draining the house battery and then at Tickover it is not quite able to put our enough charge to get them back up quickly.

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: D1-20 alternator warning at low revs
« Reply #1 on: September 25 2022, 17:00 »
Quite normal and not unique to this engine. Are you sure it is a D1 20 as these did not come in until 2004/5. More likely it is an MD 2020 unless it has been replaced during the boat's life. Not that it makes any difference to the alternator behaviour. No need to use the glow plugs for a warm start, nor indeed for a cold start in summer weather. Give it a try on cold starts with 5 seconds and if it starts OK next time try no heat.

InDeep

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #2 on: September 25 2022, 19:27 »
Thanks - it’s not been re-engined so may well be a 2020

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #3 on: September 27 2022, 16:24 »
Its very likely that the engine tick over speed is set a touch too low. It happened a lot on my MD2020D and just a few more revs on start up was all it needed and so I adjusted the tick over speed up by about 30 to 50 rpm with the throttle. I could have adjusted the idle speed at the engine, but the sound of the alarm prompted me to look at the control panel which on my boat was down near to my feet and might not have had another look if it wasn't for that alarm 🙉🙈 !!