Author Topic: Plexiglass door broke  (Read 900 times)

marioxp

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2003
Plexiglass door broke
« on: September 19 2022, 10:01 »
My front door, which is made of Plexiglas, broke!

I don't see that I can order on SVB24.

What are my options? Order plexiglass and then cut it according to the dimensions of the old door?

How can I transfer the lock from the old door to the new one?

Is it some special type of plexiglass or can I look for it locally, The old door wobbled a lot because it was several centimeters narrower than the opening, I'm thinking of making them a few centimeters wider.

sy_Anniina

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Plexiglass door broke
« Reply #1 on: September 19 2022, 10:15 »
Seems I am in the same boat with you - pun intended. Our door broke as well some weeks ago.

My plan is to take the door to a local plexiglass supplier for them to make a copy of the existing shape. The lock can be released by turning a suitable flat-head screwdriver in the "teethed opening" on the inside below the sliding part - see photo taken from one supplier of these locks.

sy_Anniina

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
« Reply #2 on: September 19 2022, 10:16 »
With photo attached

..quick fingers..

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
« Reply #3 on: September 19 2022, 10:21 »
I assume by door you mean the washboard? How did that break? :)

It's just a chunk of tinted acrylic (Plexiglass, Perspex are brand names) or polycarbonate (Lexan), nothing special about it. You can send the old one to a supplier as template to be cut to shape, or you can buy a piece and cut it yourself.

The Mobella lock is removed with a special geared tool in the two toothed bars, or with two screwdrivers, pulling both toothed bars inwards so the lock releases from the washboard. Lock manual (except removal, hehe): https://www.onmar.se/pub_docs/files/produktinfo/secure.pdf
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #4 on: September 19 2022, 10:22 »
Not difficult to  find a supplier of the material - best source is probably a company that makes signs. The material is acrylic, often known by the brand name of Perspex, although there is a similar product called polycarbonate which is stronger but more prone to scratching. Acrylic will be fine and you may well find your supplier has cutting facilities to cut and finish the edges plus the cutout for the lock. Worth considering having it made in 2 pieces with the split about 1/3 up from the bottom. The horizontal cut should be 45 degree sloping downwards to the outside or an overlapping rebate with the overlap facing down on the outside. This allows you to leave the bottom part in while you are sailing but still have access to the inside. It also makes for easier handling of the panel.