Author Topic: Transom Bathing Platform  (Read 32777 times)

Spirit of Mary

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
Re: Transom Bathing Platform
« Reply #25 on: February 20 2015, 18:55 »
When the 2 electric actuators are not fully synchronized, they see perhaps more load than one is doing the job. Many Bavaria owners in the Netherlands with this transom system have removed one actuator and are happy.
Also corrosion sometimes seems to be a problem according the BZc forum.

Ger

DT

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2010
« Reply #26 on: February 21 2015, 00:00 »
Hi all
I have had a reply from Bavaria re manual system.
The price is 800 euro , no vat or shipping included.
What do you all think?

solar

« Reply #27 on: February 21 2015, 09:21 »
Hi,
MOST of the parts in the pictures we already have. Why replace?
The only NEW parts I can see are that slim black gas? actuator and a new port side upper stopper, Can they be purchased separately? installation instructions? price?
I also wonder how much easier it will be to pull/push that very heavy gate with its help?
Can you share more info please?
 ???

DT

• Second Mate
« Reply #28 on: February 22 2015, 20:33 »
Solar.
that was all the info I got from Bavaria .
I will write back to Bavaria asking for a bit more info.
I think most of the parts have been modified from the original.
It does give me a few ideas for my own system , would like to see how the gas strut fits into the system.

battuta

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Cruiser 31
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #29 on: March 11 2015, 16:52 »
Hey DT,

Did you hear anything more from Bavaria on the details of the upgrade or the gas struts?

And what did you decide to do?

DT

• Second Mate
« Reply #30 on: March 13 2015, 10:21 »
 Battula

Been a bit busy lately have have put the transom on hold. I spoke with the Aussi Bavaria rep he suggested that having one ram working will be
sufficient for the medium term.
Will post any updates.

DT

Soliloquy B34

Mirror45184

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 40
« Reply #31 on: March 20 2015, 11:41 »
Hi Solar,
All the parts for the gas strut kit are new, so all are needed. Starting from the top left.
The shiny and dull cheek plates are in pairs, the shiny one is outside and the dull one is its mate inside the transom.
Below that is the L-piece, the round shaft goes through the new cheek plates and into the new door side rail in the centre of photo. A long bolt is screwed from inside the transom into the door side rail.
The square on the end of the shaft will engage into a similar square in the door side rail.
The gas strut is mounted inside the transom and is (probably) between the arm of the L-piece and the backing piece for the door close latch.

I just realised too that I promised a photo of the pulley system I have fitted. Sorry I have been a bit distracted, I?ll post after I have a photo on the weekend. It looks better now too with dynema strops!
Cheers
Mark
Mark Hutton
SV SYnergy
B40 Cruiser 2009

DT

• Second Mate
« Reply #32 on: March 23 2015, 22:30 »

Hello all

Still considering what to do about this problem.
I haven't recontacted Bavaria re the kit as the cost to import to Aust (end of the earth) make it a costly exercise. The price is reasonable but still doesn't reflect the responsibility they should feel for such a problematic design.   
Penguin Engineering do replacement electro/hydro rams , perhaps a better quality build , I have considered just using one of those.

Mirror45184

• Old Salt
« Reply #33 on: March 25 2015, 11:00 »
HI All,
Attached photos of the pulley modification to the bathing platform rams- replacement with a neat pulley system. Well I think that it is neat ;)

Cheers
Mark Hutton
Synergy B40
Mark Hutton
SV SYnergy
B40 Cruiser 2009

DT

• Second Mate
« Reply #34 on: March 27 2015, 21:35 »
that looks really nice tidy job.

battuta

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Cruiser 31
« Reply #35 on: March 28 2015, 02:24 »
Really awesome job Mark, and great engineering to think this up! Way slicker then the externally running manual modifications I've seen out here.

A few questions:

1. What does the control end of the line run through off the pushpit rail?

2. How "heavy" does all this feel when lowering/raising the gate? Enough mechanical advantage?

3. Any concerns with the gate down only being supported by the metal tabs, or do you keep enough tension in the control line that the system too carries some of the load?

4. Are you able to upload a photo showing how things look with the gate closed?

Riyad
s/v Battuta (2009 B31)
Vancouver, Canada

Mirror45184

• Old Salt
« Reply #36 on: March 29 2015, 14:07 »
Battuta,
Control end is only tied off to the pushpit rail. Also used to provide a bit more initial pull when starting the lift.
Weight of the operation is OK for me, bit too much to start for my wife. The last lead is on the outboard handle (port side) this provides a slight upward lift at the beginning when there is only a small lever to start the lift. (greatest pull required)
I'm confident that the two welded tabs for holding the platform are adequate to support the weight of me and an outboard motor. I have considered putting a stopper knot in teh end so some of the weight is taken on the pulley but have not yet.
I did not take a photo of the gate in the raised position as the pulleys disappear and only the free end and the pulley on the handle are visible. I have put a photo with the helm platform down.
Cheers
Mark Hutton
Synergy
B40
Mark Hutton
SV SYnergy
B40 Cruiser 2009

DT

• Second Mate
« Reply #37 on: November 29 2016, 05:50 »
Revisiting this again as my remaining ram has failed . Looking again at the photos Mark put up , I think I will go that way.
Did notice beer top in the photo sitting on the edge of the cockpit floor , also planning this.  :)
DT

Soliloquy B34

Kibo

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Vision 46
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #38 on: November 29 2016, 22:04 »
I had a 2010 Cruiser 35 with the same problem. Solved it with a six to one tackle and disconnected the rams completely. Used a strop to hold the platform horizontal. Worked fine. I agree that these systems were not fit for purpose

Not sure it helps but here are photos of my platform on our Vision 46   In addition to the cruiser range gas filled pistons helping the manual raise there are also two cables to support the platform. Again this works fine. I was relieved on ordering the boat that the swim platform was manual like my 2005 cruiser 42 ....
Ian
SV Kibo, 2014 Bavaria Vision 46

DT

• Second Mate
« Reply #39 on: November 30 2016, 20:23 »
Thanks Kibo
I'm considering using a reverse gas strut or traction strut in place of one ram  . My 34 is not that heavy to pull up manually even without the traction strut. Then using the remaining strut location as a means of locking it into place when up, with a exact length of  dyeema cord and a shackle.

Electrically I'll be happier not having a  system ( transom ) connected to the hot battery bus.

How does your beautiful new transom lock into place when up ?

Cheers David
Soliloquy B34/2009

Kibo

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Vision 46
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #40 on: November 30 2016, 23:02 »
Hi DT

It's a very simple sprung bolt very similar to a cockpit locker catch that slides onto a striker plate and receiver key way on the side of the swim platform. Example of simpler is better

The photo isn't great but hopefully it answers the question
Ian
SV Kibo, 2014 Bavaria Vision 46

Craig

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
« Reply #41 on: December 01 2016, 20:22 »
I have a Bav 38 , built in Dec 2009 ( shown as 2010 product model)  that has a very good, manual bathing platform arrangement.

After the problems with the previous models, the 2009 model reverted to a simple catch release and a single line to open and close the platform. No pulleys required. My boat still has the same mouldings and cover over where the hydraulics were installed in the previous models.

I have no problem with this simple system and it requires no force to operate. I merely pull the line to release the catch and gently push the platform down with my foot. To raise, I just pull on the single line. The system installed on my boat has been reliable and simple. I have no idea why Bavaria have reintroduced hydraulic rams on the later models.

Without looking at the boats with the hydraulic rams I can't comment on whether it is easy to convert to the system installed in the 2009( 2010) models. Obviously, Bavaria though the "fix" they fitted to the 2009 model boats was easy, cheap and quick to implement.

The question to Bavaria should be, "What is required to convert from the hydraulic system to the manual system installed in 2009 and is it cost effective.

Craig
"Shirley Valentine"
Gold Coast
Australia

DT

• Second Mate
« Reply #42 on: December 02 2016, 21:37 »
Hi Graig

My B34 is exactly the same age. In previous posts I have put the Bavaria manual system which can be fitted however it is just too dear at 800 euro plus postage .
You might find there is a gas ram inside the swim platform as is shown on the manual kit posted on this thread, maybe .

DT

DT

• Second Mate
« Reply #43 on: December 04 2016, 02:21 »
Just pulled apart my transom ram .
Very poor quality to be frank . Electro mechanical style , poor water seals , both of them have failed due to water ingestion. The circuit boards having gone.
I would suggest anybody owning one replace rubber O ring covering motor 30 second job . If your more inclined remove motor and regrease worn drive 15 minutes .
I wonder if these are original , I would assume so , age of boat condition etc . I thought they where advertised as electo hydraulic.

Only thing hydraulic about these, is the trapped water .........dad joke.

DT

Craig

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
« Reply #44 on: December 04 2016, 23:18 »
I have a 2009 Bav 38, manufactured in Dec 2009, launched in February 2010..

This is the model put out by Bavaria after they recognised a problem with the hydraulic arms on the previous models.

The 2009 Bav 38 still has the mouldings to allow the hydraulic arms to be fitted.

As a quick fix, the 2009 model has a mechanical system that is very easy to use and appears to have no problems. I merely pull a line to release the holding catch and push the platform down with my foot. I pull on a single line to raise the platform. Minimal force required.

I don't know, but suggest that Bavaria may be able to supply the conversion kit.

Craig
"Shirley Valentine"
Gold Coast
Australia

Mirror45184

• Old Salt
« Reply #45 on: December 11 2016, 07:33 »
Hi DT,

Just catching up with the conversation. Thought I had tidied up all the beer tops, on closer inspection, I believe it to be the padeye for the cockpit jackstay.
For holding the platform up I have fitted a pair of slide bolts that go into the nylon blocks. I also tighten and tie off the uphaul tackle. Do not regret removing the electrical actuators. I do have a spare one if anyone is interested!

Cheers
Mark Hutton
SV SYnergy
B40 Cruiser 2009

DT

• Second Mate
« Reply #46 on: December 11 2016, 10:07 »
I rigged up a very simple temporary system which works well enough so I'm tempted not to go back to actuators as well. Thought activated, carbohydrate powered pulley system , hard to beat.
Mark is that padeye full strength ?  :)
I have rebuild the actuator circuit board but yet to test it.
Regards all

Mirror45184

• Old Salt
« Reply #47 on: December 19 2016, 21:37 »
The padeye is full strength, cause I use it for the jackstay in the cockpit. There are three of them so there is a triangle around the table in teh cockpit.

Cheers
Mark Hutton
SV SYnergy
B40 Cruiser 2009