Author Topic: Motor raw water pump leaking  (Read 1783 times)

Ailatan

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44
  • Boat Year: 2003
Motor raw water pump leaking
« on: August 26 2022, 12:56 »
The raw water pump of my engine is leaking. At the beginning I thought it was the hose but I screw the clamp as much as possible and still the leak went on.
Finally I discovered that the water came from behind the impeller case. I am attaching a picture usually a picture is worth a thousand words but don't know if this is the case.
How can I fix this? Do I need to change the whole pump? Thks

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Motor raw water pump leaking
« Reply #1 on: August 26 2022, 13:32 »
That's a worn shaft seal. Standard part, can be replaced. Sometimes the shaft is scored, so you either shim the seal, use double lip seals or sleeve the shaft. Only in extreme cases the shaft needs replacing. There's probably a rebuild kit, but you're usually better of just sourcing a new seal yourself.

If you can't work it out yourself, just take off the pump and take it to a mechanic who can do this job quickly.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Krumelur

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2010
« Reply #2 on: August 29 2022, 09:43 »
If you need to keep your boat going, you can also get a new (3rd party!) pump and install that, then take your time to rebuild the original pump.
That's what I did. The total cost of spare parts was under €20. I was able to source them all from the local car spare parts dealers. Now I have a fully refurbished Volvo Penta pump on board as a spare part while the relatively affordable 3rd party pump does its job.

Ailatan

• Able Seaman
« Reply #3 on: September 12 2022, 21:39 »
I removed the pump from the engine and also remove the impeller but don't know which is the next step.
I don't see anything I can remove from the impeller side and at the engine side there is a nut that fix the gear to the shaft. To remove the nut I would have to fix the gear but I don't know how to do it without damaging the gear.
Is correct that the next step is removing the nut?
How can I do it?

PEA-JAY

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: B-Cruiser 39
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #4 on: September 12 2022, 22:21 »
I would advise you to have it done professionally.  It you want to do it yourself start by camping the gear in a soft jaw vice. Remove nut. Using a suitable gear puller remove the gear that’s a taper fit on the shaft. Unless you see a circlip tap out the shaft which will come out together with the bearings. Personally I replace used bearings. Note dismantling sequence. You will find the oil seal sizes embossed on the inside of the seals. Only use a seal with a stainless steel compression spring on the water side. The other (oil side)doesn’t need SS. Check shaft for wear, polish lightly with very fine sand paper with some oil.  Clean all parts and reassemble in a reverse order. You might need to resurface or replace the cover plate and the sacrificial plate inside the pump. Consider upgrading the pump with a Speedseal. I had very good result with this modification. Good luck!

Ailatan

• Able Seaman
« Reply #5 on: September 13 2022, 06:13 »
Thanks Pea-Jay for your answer.
I am going to try to do it myself because I have read that is a common problem so I would like to be able to solve the problem if a professional is not close.
Can I soft the vise using plywood and rags?

PEA-JAY

• Able Seaman
« Reply #6 on: September 13 2022, 06:50 »
Not rags. Use a couple of wood slats to avoid damaging the gear until you release the nut. Then you’ll find the gear quite firmly stuck to the taper on the shaft. If you don’t have a suitable gear puller, with the nut on the thread but slightly loose, hammer gently to separate the gear from the shaft. Don’t be too aggressive. Be careful not to ruin the shaft thread of course! I tried to explain as best I can 🙂

paulemeier1

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 37.2 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #7 on: September 13 2022, 08:32 »
Im not English nativ speaker but try to declare what I have done
Same problem with water leak.
Without removing the pump I have dismounted the six screws and the upper housing. The gum wheel also.
Now I take a small screw driver. Put it in the home shown on your picture where the water comes from.
Carefully move the plack ring in Hermann called simmering to the outside. Same Procedere several times from all sides. At least I could grab it from the front.
Than cleaning all, put in the ring and the new simmering mounting the rest.
Works perfekt since 100 engine ours
Hoop you can understand my pure English

umu

• Second Mate
« Reply #8 on: September 13 2022, 09:59 »
Have done this a while ago according to an excellent description I found on the internet.
Do not remember where, but had saved it as a pdf - see attached.

paulemeier1

• Able Seaman
« Reply #9 on: September 13 2022, 14:07 »
In the pdf they are changing both. One for water and one for oil. For oil you have to do lots of work shown in the pdf
For water you can Folie my advice. Done in ten minutes

Petef

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
« Reply #10 on: September 13 2022, 19:41 »
I've just replaced my water shaft seal, I pulled the old seal out very carfully usin a a couple of thin long screws. I was surprised by how easy it came out. You have to be careful not to score the shaft. I found it a little more difficult to put the new one in, I ended up using the old seal with a long socket to gently hammer it home.

Ailatan

• Able Seaman
« Reply #11 on: September 13 2022, 21:26 »
Thanks all for your answers.
The problem I am facing is that all the documents, videos and pictures I find in the web and also the one shared by Umu (by the way really good document) are referred to other Volvo models and the seals, bearings, rings, etc. are similar but different.
So I would like to show you my progress because I am again in a situation where I don't know how to continue and I am scare of spoiling something.
First I removed the gear and to loosen the nut I used two socket wrenches because my vise was too small and I read in Umu's document that the author used a long flat screw because his shaft finished in a slot on the impeller side but mine has the shape of a socket wrench.
After that I could remove the gear with the help of a special tool. By the way the noise really impressed me when the gear releases from its original position.
Once the gear was removed I found a ring made out of metal spring that I could easily removed with the help of a small screwdriver.
I suppose that now I should remove the seal but don't know how to do it without damaging it.
Any idea?

SYJetzt

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 46
« Reply #12 on: September 15 2022, 17:36 »
Could you please post a photo from the opposite side of the pump (where the impeller sits)?

PEA-JAY

• Able Seaman
« Reply #13 on: September 15 2022, 22:19 »
The oil seals are press fitted in place. Use a suitable screw driver to pry them out. You replace them with new ones. It’s worth changing the ball bearings while you’re at the job.

Ailatan

• Able Seaman
« Reply #14 on: September 17 2022, 07:16 »
Hi SY-Jetzt, photos from the impeller side is in the first post.
Definitely the first oil seal can't be removed without damaging it. Then I will gain access to the security ring and the bearings

SYJetzt

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 46
« Reply #15 on: September 17 2022, 08:36 »
As far i can see on the photos there are the seals visible on both sides. Pry out the two sealing ring with a strong screwdriver. You will destroy the sealing rings, they have to be replaced with new ones when you put everything together again.

paulemeier1

• Able Seaman
« Reply #16 on: September 18 2022, 11:47 »
try to screw in a screw or wood in the seal ring. two sides, carefully screw in side by side. the seal should come out slowly