Author Topic: Fridge not cooling properly!  (Read 1327 times)

SYJetzt

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 46
  • Boat Year: 2005
Fridge not cooling properly!
« on: August 25 2022, 16:15 »
My fridge does not cool well. All electric issues checked, compressor is working, no faults on led. On evaporator there is only on the first part slightly iceing. Would suspect a need for topping up the refrigerant gas. Any suggestions?

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Fridge not cooling properly!
« Reply #1 on: August 25 2022, 18:57 »
Either gas went out (then you must find the leak, usually the couplings), or you have debris blocking the capillary pipe. Try switching it off for 20 minutes, then back on again. If doing this 3 times still doesn't clear it, you probably need regassing, or it's totally blocked. Listen to the sound on the evaporator place - you should hear bubbles, like boiling water (only it's boiling refrigerant).

If switching it off for a while does clear it, it's debris. Installing a filter dryer will fix this (it's a piece of gauze that traps the debris but lets the refrigerant through). Prefilled filter drier kits with quick couplings are available (for >€100, but cheaper than a hired out regassing) from the usual boat fridge kit assemblers. Gotta get one that matches the quick couplings you have.

In our fridge the debris was from the sealant in the quick connect couplings breaking down. They also leaked refrigerant out as the o-rings had gone brittle. I did get the kit to evacuate and regas it myself after taking the couplings apart and cleaning them up. Also replaced the o-rings.
(formerly) Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

SYJetzt

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 46
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #2 on: August 26 2022, 08:10 »
Thank you for your detailed explanations!
Which connect couplings are the right ones? This is a standard coolmatic(2005) fitted original by bavaria. Any websites to analyze this stuff. Where (in the circuit) are these filter dryers fitted?

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #3 on: August 26 2022, 10:30 »
Don't know which couplings Coolmatic (Dometic?) used, you'll have to visually identify them if they match any of the available kits. I can't find one from that manufacturer. This is the Frigomatic filter drier kit, perhaps the photo helps to see if it's compatible. There's at least two different types of these couplings in use amongst the different kit builders.

The filter goes on the liquid (pressure) line, wherever the existing coupling in that line is. It's pre-filled with a tiny bit of R134a and just inserted between the two mating couplings, they are self-sealing, at least in theory - may not be anymore after all these years. Instructions: https://penguinfrigo.co.uk/wp-content/themes/genesis-sample/pdf/2-Install-Adding-a-Filter-Drier-to-a-Frigomatic-System.pdf

Found a diagram here under "11.1 COUPLING THE QUICK CONNECTS" that may help see if your couplings are the same type: https://penguinfrigo.co.uk/wp-content/themes/genesis-sample/pdf/2-Install-Frigoboat-Manuals.pdf

Here's an ancient thread with photos of the disassembled couplings and crumbling sealant (same issue we had): https://jeanneau.proboards.com/thread/2937/procedure-removing-blockage-frigoboat-tubes

For general fridge charging advice, see http://coxeng.co.uk/heating-and-refrigeration/recharging-marine-refrigeration-systems/
(formerly) Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Krumelur

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2010
« Reply #4 on: August 29 2022, 09:39 »
I had similar symptoms on my fridge and the problem was the fan of the cooling unit within the fridge. It did not turn so cold wasn't distributed.
Turned out I did not connect it correctly.