Author Topic: Emergency tiller  (Read 7478 times)

nornie lees

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 30 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
Emergency tiller
« on: August 23 2013, 11:07 »
Yesterday i decided to check to see if the emergency tiller fitted my new to me Bavaria 37, (bought March) .  It fitted, however when i tried to move it the friction within the steering system was unbelievable. I could not move it single handed, pulling with both arms i just managed to get it to move.

What do i need to do to free up the friction?

rgds Ray

bluemoon1

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
  • Boat Year: 2004
Re: Emergency tiller
« Reply #1 on: August 25 2013, 12:10 »
I think you are mistaken about the operation,of the emergency tiller,and don't fix it unless it is broke ,comes to mind.When the cables break from the steering mechanism, then you will be able to use the tiller,as it is not designed to work with it,only without.I hope this helps regards and good luck.

nornie lees

• Able Seaman
« Reply #2 on: August 25 2013, 16:43 »
Good point Bluemoon, but  i would love somebody else to try theirs!

rgds Ray

nornie lees

• Able Seaman
« Reply #3 on: August 25 2013, 17:20 »
Just watched ARC safety video on you-tube, they test steering system same way i did, and the wheels turned freely, so looks like i DO have a small problem. Anybody know how to solve it?

rgds Ray

Still Sailing

• Swab
  • Boat Model: BAVARIA 40
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #4 on: August 27 2013, 10:44 »
Some years ago my steering unexpectantly started to seize up on my Bavaria 40 during a lengthy voyage, due to one of the stainless cables failing and starting to unwind and jamming in the outer nylon cable. Using the emergency tiller with the steering cables still connected proved impossible to steer. The quickest remedy then was to access the steering quadrant from the aft cabins, unscrew and remove the nuts which tension the steering (15 minute job in a pitching sea lying ahull) disconnect the cables completely and use the emergency tiller until we reached a port where repairs were carried out. With the cables disconnected the emergency tiller is adequate for short term use.

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #5 on: August 28 2013, 23:38 »
I think you are mistaken about the operation,of the emergency tiller,and don't fix it unless it is broke ,comes to mind.When the cables break from the steering mechanism, then you will be able to use the tiller,as it is not designed to work with it,only without.I hope this helps regards and good luck.

Sounds like your rudder bearings need attention. Just tried my emergency tiller on my 37 and moves quite freely. Assume you have slackened off the friction lock on the wheel. If the wheel turns OK no reason why the tiller should not work.

nornie lees

• Able Seaman
« Reply #6 on: August 30 2013, 19:54 »
just got back tonight from a few days sailing, same problem, friction knob removed, still stiff. Yacht had new bearings fitted last year. Put tiller handle on again and no movement or play. Im thinking the bearings have swelled slightly, so will removed rudder and check end of season. But will first check cables etc.

rgds Ray

MIA

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #7 on: September 14 2013, 06:25 »
I checked my emergency tiller a few months and couldn't move it, I only checked as the steering was extremely tight after about 5 weeks without moving prior to a 1 week trip, I managed to work it free by running 3 in 1 oil down the rudder shaft, I also loosened the top bearing tension ring and applied oil from the top. I freed it off but the Em tiller was still solid. Its coming out next month and new bearing to be fitted. I spoke to DDZ and told me there's a new type of bearing the also has roller bearing internal to the old type to allow the rudder shaft to turn more freely, again was told by two different marine repairs that they do swell up.

Stevie

nornie lees

• Able Seaman
« Reply #8 on: September 15 2013, 12:23 »
thanks Stevie and All. im going to try lubricant first  as recommended in previous post. talk of loosening top nut of rudder etc, do i have to make a tool  to knock top nut loose? or can i buy one. Looking at the nut yesterday i can see it looks like the engineer who replaced bearings couple years ago put a small chisel in and tapped it around. (before i bought her).

I first noticed it get stiff after i had a pressure wash n scrub at our local boatyard, does anybody think jetting shell pieces up in bearings would cause this? Dont know if this actually happened but they do attach to the rudder top, as my previous yachts.

rgds Ray

MIA

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #9 on: September 15 2013, 14:26 »
Ray

On my top bearing I loosened the allen screw and opens a slot cut in the nut(ring) the got a screw driver and knocked the ring round, I didn't take the ring completely off and the gave it enough tension to allow a free movement, I check the ring every time I go out just to make sure it hasn't move any, its always been OK once you've tightened the allen screw back up.

Stevie

stevem

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Vision 42
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #10 on: September 20 2013, 13:34 »
I checked the emergency tiller on my 2003 38 yesterday in view of the foregoing comments and was pleased to find that mine worked o.k without having to disconnect the steering wheel cables. rudder and wheel both moved to gether.