Author Topic: Bavaria 40: Cutting floor panels to get more stowing space?  (Read 2006 times)

Krumelur

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2010
My Bavaria 40 has one removable floor panel with some usable stowing space underneath it. It's the one located next to the navigation corner, giving access to the bilge pump (or at least partial access). It's open in picture one.

The other removable panel is under the salon bench. I don't quite the concept. The one under the salon bench gives access to the keel bolts, so making it removable is good idea but you cannot remove it unless you unscrew the bench....?

Aaaanyway. Some panel screws needed to be replaced so I removed the big panel surrounding the bilge pump panel. As I sat there I wondered about all the dusty, unused space. Instead of fixing the screws my plan is now to cut the big panel along the purple line (picture two). That would result in a panel covering the red area and another one covering the yellow area next to the bilge pump panel.
Then drill a hole into each and voila, I have all that extra space I need for my stuff. Plus, I'm getting actual access to the bilge pump and not only to half of it.

I don't see an issue in doing this. No structural change and my wine will always have the right temperature.
On most other boats I've been most of the bilge was usable to put stuff in there. I don't understand why Bavaria is so restrictive?

Objections?

sy_Anniina

• Old Salt
  • Boat Year: 2001
Our B40 (vintage 2001) has a bit more removable panels:
  • One apprx 25x35cm right abobe bilge pump
  • Same size fwd of bilge pump, extending 15cm or so below salon bench, can easily be wiggled / slid out
  • Same size fwd of salon bench, extending 15cm or so below salon bench, can easily be wiggled / slid out
  • full width in saloon right next to main bulkhead - a bit filldy to lift this big board...
  • Even one of the fwd cabin sole boards is removable, echo/log senders live under this board - not used for storage, don't want to knock anything down

Can't see any specific reason why You couldn't make more access holes
... Other than the obvious - in case of knockdown or 360 inversion, removable boards and anything stored below will transform into heavy flying objects

BR,
Tommi
s/y Anniina

Krumelur

• Old Salt
Right, I forgot there’s another one in the fore cabin to access the depth sounder and log.
It’s almost like Bavaria doesn’t want them to be used for storage purposes. But on the other hand, aligning a panel in a way that it would give access to half of the bilge pump without being able to inspect the wiring doesn’t make a lot of sense either.
Maybe it’s more a matter of reusing parts across different boat types to reduce cost?
I dunno. Anyway, I’ll go and cut that thing in halves.

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Yes the reason is keeping costs down. Making smaller removable panels with lifting handles or holes plus a way of making them secure is costly. Have a look at something like a Malo to see how it is done and you will appreciate why those boats cost so much. No different in Bavarias from other mass produced boats. Nothing to stop you doing what you want - all part of practical boat owning.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
We just unscrewed the lot. Now they're all removable panels. Didn't make any holes in them, just using a suction cup (from a car windscreen mobile phone holder) to lift. Lots of storage and coolest place in the boat (apart from the fridge). Keep heavy spare parts (well wrapped) in there, drinks, potatoes, spare engine oil cans and sealants (keep longer when cool).
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Krumelur

• Old Salt
Love it! Thanks Yngmar!

markleuty

• Cadet
  • Boat Year: 2003
We just unscrewed the lot. Now they're all removable panels. Didn't make any holes in them, just using a suction cup (from a car windscreen mobile phone holder) to lift. Lots of storage and coolest place in the boat (apart from the fridge). Keep heavy spare parts (well wrapped) in there, drinks, potatoes, spare engine oil cans and sealants (keep longer when cool).

So do you really not have the floorboards screwed down at all. My sailing companion things we ought to always have them screwed down in case of a knockdown, my argument is that that is highly unlikely in the Solent, but her vote counts for more than mine!

Mark

Yngmar

• Administrator
If you're going on that eastwards crossing across the northern Atlantic at the start of hurricane season, averaging two gales at sea per crossing, by all means, do screw the floorboards back down for the trip if it makes you feel better, it's only a couple screws. Otherwise, I can't say we've ever been worried about a knockdown, and we have ended up in some nasty weather on occasion.

And in case you're still concerned what would happen in a knockdown, have a look around the boat and think it through. I'd be much more worried about the fridge lid flying off or the massive solid mahogany companion way steps anyways. Or the underseat/bed lockers with all their heavy stuff in it. Or just about anything else on a fully laden cruising boat. I'm not sure the locker latches are strong enough to hold heavy tools or bottles banging on them from the inside, I'm not even sure the tanks are well enough attached not to come loose. So the floorboards would make little difference to the ensuing chaos, I think  ;D

Don't tell your sailing companion about that though, or you'll never be allowed to leave the Solent  >:D
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)