Author Topic: engine panel lights  (Read 1009 times)

blue-max

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: ocean 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
engine panel lights
« on: June 27 2022, 09:09 »
My engine panel lights arn't working. Not sure why. Previously fuel gauges stopped working - sorted by wiring in a new power supply. Any pointers how I should troubleshoot?   

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: engine panel lights
« Reply #1 on: June 27 2022, 10:05 »
In one hand a multimeter, in the other the electrical diagrams for your engine. First do check the breakers on the engine control box, if any. Our MD22 has two breakers there, older engines had a fuse block instead.

With the fuel gauges failing previously, it sounds like you might have corrosion on the connectors, so worth checking that too. On our MD22 there's a big locking ring plug on the engine and another at the instrument panel. These have brass pins that can corrode if moisture gets in. Cleaning them up (carefully) and applying some waterproof grease/spray sorted it for good.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

reystos

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 31
« Reply #2 on: June 28 2022, 07:16 »
What does your engine panel look like? Depending on year of make, some of them are slightly digitized and others are not.

blue-max

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: June 28 2022, 21:41 »
Its the standard panel from VP  year 2000. I'll try to attach  photo. (the larger de lux panel I had hoped to  fit  but changed my mind as the binnacle could not be adapted to  take the wider panel.

reystos

• Second Mate
« Reply #4 on: June 29 2022, 09:32 »
It looks exactly like mine. The unit controlling the lights is a little grey box. Try to remove it and see whether the bulbs are fried, or if there is something else going on. You can power it up with 12V outside the boat, minding the polarity mentioned on the back of the unit.
There is + and - indications on the connectors you can use. In theory, at least some warning lights should go ON when you do that.

blue-max

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: June 29 2022, 10:03 »
Is the grey box attached to the panel?

reystos

• Second Mate
« Reply #6 on: June 30 2022, 19:53 »
Yes, it sits right behind the warning light section of the panel. You can remove it from the back.