Author Topic: Bavaria 42 Cruiser - new solar panel  (Read 1212 times)

MCBav42

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Bav 42
  • Boat Year: 2005
Bavaria 42 Cruiser - new solar panel
« on: June 12 2022, 23:32 »
Hello all. I’m new to the group having just bought a 2005 Bav 42. I need to buy a new solar panel to fit in a frame above the bimini. Can any other Bav 42 owners tell me the approx wattage needed for the panel to keep batteries topped up whilst allowing for standard weekend usage? (boat has 3 house batteries, inverter and electric Genoa winches but otherwise no major changes or other high use systems). There’s no shore power but Sydney based so generally high levels of sunlight for charging and no plans to use the inverter.
Thank you

SYJetzt

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 46
Re: Bavaria 42 Cruiser - new solar panel
« Reply #1 on: June 13 2022, 07:26 »
First you need to know your energy consumption. I would suggest to fit a battery monitor first to figure out your energy needs.
I would go with an removable solar panel, so you can stow away your bimini. I would go with the largest size to fit between the frames.
I have 3 fixed modules 320 Watts each on an arch behind the backstay which deliver approx 220Ah (=2,5kWh) on a sunny summer day (i'm cruising the mediterranean).
The biggest consumers on my boat are the fridges. To reduce their energy demands it's worth to improve the (usually bad) insulation first instead of upgrading your power generation capabilities.

MCBav42

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Bav 42
Re: Bavaria 42 Cruiser - new solar panel
« Reply #2 on: June 14 2022, 10:50 »
Thank you - much appreciated.