Author Topic: Bav 40: What's the length of the line required for the traveller?  (Read 846 times)

Krumelur

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2010
I'm about to order a new line to operate the traveller on my Bav 40. But I'm questioning the measurements I was given...12 meters?
If I do the math:
1m from cockpit to traveller + 1m back + 1m extra on each side = 4m
Width of traveller approximately 1m (?), line goes back and forth 4 times = 4m
Total 8m but not 12m.

Obviously, I don't want to come back to the boat and find that it's too short but I don't feel like spending money on 4m of extra line I don't have use for.

Is 12m reasonable? Or (way) too much?

By the way: I was planning to go for a Liros Herkules 10mm

sy_Anniina

• Old Salt
  • Boat Year: 2001
From old order confirmation notes: I ordered and installed 2 x 6m of 8mm Glestein Tasmania (red + green) for our traveller (Bavaria 40, but older vintage 2001)

Newer model may hava wider deck / wider traveller + longer distance from traveller to cockpit, but still 12m vs 6m... Could it be that 12m is enough for both port & stbd traveller lines?

but if your traveller line routing involves a 180 degree turn from traveller to deck deflector / organizer and back to clutches, then I can easily see 12m / side?

Mods I made:
- eye splice at traveller end instead of knot, less friction due to missing protuding knot-end
- 10mm->8mm = less friction
- next plan: cam-cleats next to companionway instead of using old traveller end cleats.

BR,

Tommi
s/y Anniina

Krumelur

• Old Salt
  • Boat Year: 2010
Looking at your numbers it makes sense. The 12m is the total for both sides.