Author Topic: Throttle / gear lever re positioning on B37 cruiser  (Read 2221 times)

Onshaw

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: 37 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2018
On my B37 cruiser the throttle and gear control lever is sited on the side of the port steering console. Although I like being able to operate this lever from the console it is too low and gets in the way of opening the port cockpit locker. The lever has to be up (in reverse) to be able to lift the locker door up and open. Ideally the control would be positioned at the top of the console but I'm told the control cable isn't long enough to move it this far ! I would be interested to know if anyone has found a way of achieving this resisting.
Also my 2018 model has composite top section to the metallic port steering console. The port console is therefore different to the starboard console and looks a little odd. I wonder if anyone has bothered to replace the odd looking port console with a new symmetrical console and if so how difficult a job was it and how much did it cost ?

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Throttle / gear lever re positioning on B37 cruiser
« Reply #1 on: May 15 2022, 21:50 »
You can get the push/pull control cables in various lengths, so could just replace with longer ones if you don't mind the expense.

Or would fitting a differently designed or modified lever help? Or a cutout in the cockpit locker?  ;D
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Yngmar

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 15 2022, 22:20 »
I looked up a photo of a 37 Cruiser from 2018: https://img.happycharter.com/image-charter-boat/bavaria-37-3-cruiser-2018-huge-162241230466abe2.jpg

Can't see how the lever can be in the way of opening the locker, even if fitted lower down the steering console. Is it possible your lever has been attached at the wrong angle, so that it isn't pointing straight up when in neutral? If so, the easy fix would be to take off the lever and attach it in that way. The shaft is splined and you can attach it at any angle.

Onshaw

• Cadet
« Reply #3 on: May 15 2022, 22:38 »
Unfortunately I don't have a photo of the set up on my console but when it is in neutral it is horizontal and points to the bow. Reverse is up and forward is down. And if it is in neutral it gets hit by the lid of the locker as it arks upward. Moving the positions as you suggest would I think work for neutral but when going into reverse I think the lever would then be in the way of the wheel. However, when I'm next on the boat in a weeks time I will check it out. Thanks

paulemeier1

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 37.2 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #4 on: May 16 2022, 09:50 »
think there a lots of teeth inside the gear control unit. maybe it helps to put some teeth back counter clockwise.... think your problem only appears in motion with nearly full throttle to front. but you have to control problems full to stern 

Onshaw

• Cadet
« Reply #5 on: May 16 2022, 17:25 »
Thanks. I am on the boat next week so I will see if I can make the adjustments. It seems it must be just my problem as nobody else has mentioned that they have the same issue - so with luck I can correct the situation. Cheers

Onshaw

• Cadet
« Reply #6 on: May 25 2022, 06:32 »
I'm now on our boat enjoying beautiful warm weather around Ithika and I have taken the attached photos to add clarification to my previous description. Hopefully you can see the dilemma. I feel the easiest/best solution would be to raise the control towards the top of the console but I'm told the cable isn't long enough to do this. So I wonder how difficult would it be to get a new longer cable made for the job - would this work and would it be expensive ? Cheers.

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #7 on: May 25 2022, 10:01 »
Cables come in 50cm increments up to 14m and then 1m. However cable length is not the issue as can't see how you can move the lever assembly up as its mounting point is part of the lower binnacle moulding.

If the red mark is your forward position I can't see what the problem is. Looks pretty normal to me and if it means you can't fully open the locker that seems just a minor inconvenience.

Yngmar

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 25 2022, 10:06 »
Hehe, that's a stupid thing Bavaria did there. I had to look several times to see it. Compare your boat with this broker photo: https://img.happycharter.com/image-charter-boat/bavaria-37-3-cruiser-2018-huge-162241230466abe2.jpg

The binnacle is the same and the lever is in the same position, yet the broker boat has the lever pointing straight up in neutral. So they looked at your boat and decided they did some rubbish there and then (can you spot it?) fixed this by extending the wheel further aft. See the white bolted on flange where the wheel exits the helm? Your boat doesn't have that, so your wheel is further forward and thus the lever can't be neutral.

Moving the lever up would only solve the collision with the locker lid, but still have it pointing forward in neutral. Perhaps you can extend the wheel after instead like Bavaria did in the later revisions. Depending on the exact details, that may be tricky though, but personally I'd look into that instead of moving the lever upwards.

Yngmar

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 25 2022, 10:16 »
Looks like the item in question is a Jefa bulkhead steerer: https://jefa.com/steering/products/cable/steerers/bulkhead.htm (different sizes, possibly the 25).

Might be a bit expensive, especially since you'd need two, and have to check if the steering chain alignment still works. Perhaps not worth it, depending on how much the lever thing bothers you  :kewl

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #10 on: May 25 2022, 10:22 »
Hehe, that's a stupid thing Bavaria did there. I had to look several times to see it. Compare your boat with this broker photo: https://img.happycharter.com/image-charter-boat/bavaria-37-3-cruiser-2018-huge-162241230466abe2.jpg

The binnacle is the same and the lever is in the same position, yet the broker boat has the lever pointing straight up in neutral. So they looked at your boat and decided they did some rubbish there and then (can you spot it?) fixed this by extending the wheel further aft. See the white bolted on flange where the wheel exits the helm? Your boat doesn't have that, so your wheel is further forward and thus the lever can't be neutral.

Moving the lever up would only solve the collision with the locker lid, but still have it pointing forward in neutral. Perhaps you can extend the wheel after instead like Bavaria did in the later revisions. Depending on the exact details, that may be tricky though, but personally I'd look into that instead of moving the lever upwards.

I agree it's a bit stupid, but your idea that Bavaria subsequently extended the wheel backwards using a "white bolted-on flange" is incorrect.  That flange will be on Onshaw's boat too - you can't see it in his pics because the gear housing obscures it.  The flange is an essential bearing in the Jefa steering system.

Yngmar

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 25 2022, 10:30 »

I agree it's a bit stupid, but your idea that Bavaria subsequently extended the wheel backwards using a "white bolted-on flange" is incorrect.  That flange will be on Onshaw's boat too - you can't see it in his pics because the gear housing obscures it.  The flange is an essential bearing in the Jefa steering system.

My guess would be that his boat has the internal bearings rather than the bolt-on version: https://jefa.com/steering/products/cable/steerers/horizontal.htm

Peeking into there will tell.

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #12 on: May 25 2022, 12:17 »

My guess would be that his boat has the internal bearings rather than the bolt-on version: https://jefa.com/steering/products/cable/steerers/horizontal.htm

Peeking into there will tell.

No room for that version; the pedestal is only about 60mm front to back.

Onshaw

• Cadet
« Reply #13 on: May 26 2022, 06:10 »
Thanks everyone for your comments.
Symphony2 is right it is "just a minor inconvenience " but if is not too difficult to improve I would like to do so.
Tiger79 is also right - there is a flange on the port wheel the same as standard and I have added a better photo to show this.
So I'm back to my original idea of raising the control lever. I have added another couple of photos to show how just 6 inches, if possible, might solve the inconvenience.
Other thoughts are whether it is possible to use a different control system ? Possibly something like an outboard engine or motorbike throttle - turn clockwise for forwards and anticlockwise for reverse. Or maybe a new lever could be designed to shorten and extend or possibly even hinged ? Any ideas ? Cheers.