Author Topic: I’m lazy today: Sailing under Genua only. Any reason not to?  (Read 1161 times)

Krumelur

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2010
I went out to test the new sea water pump I installed. All fine.
Then we had light winds of 7 to 10 knots.
I didn’t feel like getting the main out because of lazy bag etc.
instead, I pulled out the Genua only to enjoy some down wind sailing.
Then the wind changed and I went up wind. And it worked just fine! 4 knots, 40 degree wind angle at 8 knots of wind.

Question for the expert sailors: and treason not to do this?

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
You'll probably get a bit of weather helm, which will slow you down, and it won't work well in stronger winds, but no reason not to sail the lazy way sometimes :)
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

GeoffV

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bav 37 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2016
Its very relaxing not worrying about all the other stuff with just one sail up.

Did it regularly when returning to Portsmouth early morning from Cowes with a light south westerly, whats not to like.

JEN-et-ROSS

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Lagoon
  • Boat Year: 1990
I don't pretend to be an expert, but in our experience provided the breeze is anywhere aft of a beam reach our big overlapping genoa wafts us along at a rate of knots that isn't much less that if we'd hoisted the main as well...
Yes, you have to accept that it's unbalanced, but it's a nice compromise to let it out like a roller blind and just roll it back in a your destination.....
I guess we're a bit lazy and old as we do this quite a lot.........Bill.

Jake

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 44
  • Boat Year: 2004
I'm a big fan of sailing with just a headsail.  For short handed sailing it makes things a bit easier.  I find that both upwind and downwind sailing are just great.  Yes, there is a slight loss of speed, but it isn't that significant.  I've run a #3 jib upwind in 30 kts of wind while sailing solo.  It's very easy to handle, especially tacking.

Jake
Jake Brodersen
Winedown
Bavaria 44

Clivert

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
 Is don't sail directly downwind with just the genoa. I always sail with the wind on the quarter which gives me much more effective power.
 Coming back to Portsmouth from Cowes I've often out sailed those going directly down wind.
 Genoa only is affectionately known as " the hangover rig !)