Author Topic: Stainless rod chain plate attachment  (Read 1573 times)

Rappitysnap

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: 50 sail
  • Boat Year: 2001
Stainless rod chain plate attachment
« on: May 08 2022, 03:58 »
Greetings, anyone here have knowledge on replacing the rod rigging or tie-rod attachments For the side stays on a 2001 50’ Bavaria. I have heard of multiple vessels having these fail and causing de-mastings. Does Bavaria still offer replacement parts for a boat this old? Or would it be just a simple section of threaded rod a rigging company could fabricate. Thanks

JEN-et-ROSS

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Lagoon
  • Boat Year: 1990
Re: Stainless rod chain plate attachment
« Reply #1 on: May 08 2022, 10:50 »
I'm assuming you're referring to the tie-rods beneath deck level and not 'rod rigging'...?
I've always understood that the tie-rods beneath the deck taking the chainplate loads to hardpoints within the hull were specifically designed to have a predicted breaking load substantially higher than the wire rigging that supports the mast...
The reason for this is simply that if something has to break it should be above the deck and not below, ensuring that the hull remains intact as opposed to the chainplates ripping out leaving a big hole in the deck or hull that would result in a yacht foundering...
I must admit I've never heard of the tie-rods failing but know of several rig failures.......Bill.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
« Reply #2 on: May 08 2022, 11:08 »
Never heard of those failing either, on any boat. On our 40 Ocean, they're much stronger than the deck rigging. And yes, they're something a (rod) rigger can manufacture, possible with help from a lathe workshop (one end has a thread cut into the rod, which isn't standard with rod rigging).

I did hear of the bolts tying the outer and inner chainplates through the deck together, and replaced them after I discovered a small crack in one of ours. The chainplates are also prone to leakage and crevice corrosion if not rebedded since they were new and can fail if not taken care of, which happened to one owner of a 38 Ocean we've met.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Rappitysnap

• Cadet
« Reply #3 on: May 08 2022, 15:01 »
Thanks for the replies, yes this is the component of the rigging I am referring to. There is a Bavaria Facebook group with a few members recently discussing this issue. There’s a gentleman with a 40’ that recently lost his complete rig due to the below deck tie rod failing. He has pictures attached, and there were a few other members mentioning similar failures. Seems to be a area difficult to give a thorough inspection.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
« Reply #4 on: May 08 2022, 15:56 »
Interesting, which part failed, can you share the pictures here (not Facebook links)?

I imagine it'll leave a bit of a hole in the boat as the chainplates tear out of the deck.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Rappitysnap

• Cadet
« Reply #5 on: May 08 2022, 22:41 »
Here are are few screen shots of the discussion over on the Bavaria Facebook group.