Author Topic: Interieur panel removal  (Read 929 times)

Sailpirate

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 31 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2000
Interieur panel removal
« on: May 05 2022, 17:29 »
Hello all,
I wish to gain access to the space behind the panel on the Starboard side of the dinette. Has anyone instructions on how to remove this — see Photo.
I would be grateful for any advice on this.
Thanks
The pessimist complains about the wind.
The optimist expects it to change.
The realist adjusts the sails.

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
Re: Interieur panel removal
« Reply #1 on: May 05 2022, 18:33 »
The lockers each side of it may have removeable panels in the back, which will allow you to access the space.  Otherwise, it's a big job!

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #2 on: May 05 2022, 19:22 »
Unscrew these yellow marked screws, then take the cover off. Same on the top. Gives you only access to the bottom of the toerail.

The entire back panel will not come off without taking the entire starboard furniture apart, which is probably not possible in a non-destructive way because a) the furniture was fitting from the top before the deck came on and b) the screws were not stainless and will have corroded into the wood and snap off when you try.

If you do need the full panel off for some reason, then tape up the edges and cut with an oscillating multitool sawblade along the edges. You can then later attach some spacers to the hull and fit the back panel onto those to look more or less the same. The only reason I can think of for doing this would be severe hull damage though?
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #3 on: May 05 2022, 19:24 »
Think you will find you have to remove a piece of wooden trim at the top of the panel. It will be held in with plated metal selftappers so probably rusty by now!. That is how the panels were held in on my 2000 37 with the same style of trim

Sailpirate

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 31 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #4 on: May 05 2022, 19:45 »
OK thanks for the tips and photo  :)
I wish to put my AIS Transceiver and Splitter behind the Panel. Connections incl. VHF cable are there for the Radio etc so it would be an ideal spot.
I Don‘t wish to cause unnecessary damage so will move forward carefully or alternatively I might look at other options for placement of the Transceiver and Splitter.
Somehow the previous owner has got behind there to lay electric and Antenne cables in the past so I will look again for obvious signs of disassembly —
The pessimist complains about the wind.
The optimist expects it to change.
The realist adjusts the sails.