Author Topic: new owner 33' cruiser questions  (Read 1018 times)

Croatian Sailing

• Cadet
new owner 33' cruiser questions
« on: May 04 2022, 10:05 »
thanks everybody

LinTeal

• Second Mate
Re: new owner 30' cruiser questions
« Reply #1 on: May 04 2022, 10:34 »
I used my pressurised oil extractor pump,inserting the pipe into the stringer drain holes to get the water out that sits in the stringers.Worked well.

SYJetzt

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 46
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #2 on: May 04 2022, 10:53 »
also the connection from the heat exchanger to the hot water tank gets super hot in the aft berth, it concerns me about a fire. i've adjusted the regulator for hot water with no luck. it melted a small hole in the cheap plastic for my air duct from the diesel burner so i'm going to need to figure something out.

The connection should reach temperatures of 90°C (+/-) and is determined by the thermostat of the inner engine cooling circuit. To figure out the correct temperature a cheap IR thermometer is useful. The regulator only works for the electric heating element. If the boiler is heated by the engine, it should get pretty hot (>80°c)

the hot water heater is place slightly above the water tank (original installation i believe). how does the hot water boiler fill up in that case? can anybody give me operating instruction on the hot fresh water system? the boiler tank metal gets suppper hot and will destroy everything around it, no?

The water heater is filled by pressurized water for the fresh water pump, the air from the drained tank is blown out when warm water tap is opened the first time.
If you drain the water heater, dont forget to switch off the electric heater element. It destroys itself if operated dry!!

also the selden rig came with a complete manual, but everything's in swedish.. if anybody has that stuff in english for a 2007 cruiser would be super awesome.

Dont know which information about your rig you are looking for, but give the selden support page a visit to find what you need... https://support.seldenmast.com/en/technical_info.html

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #3 on: May 04 2022, 15:28 »
Like Jetzt said, the tank water can reach around 90°C, which is fine, and that's why the braided metal hose gets ouchy hot. That's why you have a mixing valve that mixes this hot water with cold water to create warm water for your taps (going into the red plastic pipe, which is rated for up to 65°C). Check the actual temperatures of things, above 40°C your hand will only tell you "ouch hot" and cannot differentiate between 65 and 90. Any hotter than that, the water turns to steam, creating pressure and the pressure relief valve on the tank (red cap usually) will vent this, which you would notice.

The Eberspaecher air ducts are rated for 95 (150° peak) temperatures and should not melt from this, but it looks more like it was crushed by the pipe than melted. They're very flimsy and easy to crush if not careful. Just move it away a bit so they stop touching.

Blowing warm air into the limber holes and through the stringers will dry it them out well, but if there is salt (from salt water leaks) trapped inside, it will attract moisture from air again, so you need to rinse the salt out first before drying.

Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)